Mostly Moths 2019

Well here goes, for better or worse, another year of moths. The old thread is here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196070/mostly-moths-2018/1221500#1221500

To start us off a couple of silly ones that came to greet the first trap of the year on the night of the 1st to 2nd january. It was around 6-7°C all night & frosts ever since so I gave it a go.

A Double-striped Pug

& same one closed

& White Speck

Nothing earth-shattering, but a start!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• I reckon you'll need a lorry load of brambles to feed that lot! Maybe you could contract them out as a team to help the local council with clearance works. I'm not sure if they'd be earning the minimum wage though, a bit young.

Best wishes

• WendyBartter said:
    Have moved on now to count the larvae!!!

I trust you didn't arrive at a higher number than eggs!

Will they grow up and pupate this year or overwinter?

Nige   Flickr

• They will overwinter as pupae Nige! They are all currently living outside on bramble as they failed to thrive in container but many have dispersed already ... I wish them luck, it only needs a couple to survive really to carry on the breeding programme!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Overwintered this Buff-tip moth pupa which came from a caterpillar someone rescued at Local nature reserve on 21st September last year, pupated the same day before I even got a pic of larva!!  It eclosed sometime last night, discovered it at midnight!

Incredible impression of a piece of broken twig

Very beautiful with spread wings

Scary face though

Also had this tiny micro moth flying around til it landed on my tablet ... then into a pot! Lol

About 6 or 7 mm

Even more scary face

Maybe H can tell me what variety it is??

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• The Buff-tips are amazing at camouflage - I don't think I've seen one wings open. The micro looks almost golden - I think I'll leave it for Hazel though :)

Nige   Flickr

• Funnily enough I had one like it in the bathroom last night, I think it's a Tineidae familly & probably "Tinea pellionella"

Here's mine

Another one that lives on unmentionables!

Best wishes

• Ha ha Ha, thanks for ID!   Won't go hungry here then!  Did wonder why it tried to double-back inside when I put it out the front door! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• It's odd though isn't it that the only one I've ever seen & you get one the same day! Must be a good time for them. Mine disappeared which was a shame as it turns out I need a photo of it's hind wing for positive ID. I should have potted it up at the time, but going up the stepladder at bedtime to take the photos (it was on the ceiling) was quite enough excitement.

Best wishes

• Shame I evicted mine H ... could have posted it to you! 

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Loads of these on the West Pennine Moors at the weekend. I was attracted by the metallic wings and huge antennae, but it was only when I got these home and could see the iridescent wings were scaly that I realised they were moths and not flies. I think they are Green Longhorns

Nige   Flickr