Mostly Moths 2019

Well here goes, for better or worse, another year of moths. The old thread is here https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196070/mostly-moths-2018/1221500#1221500

To start us off a couple of silly ones that came to greet the first trap of the year on the night of the 1st to 2nd january. It was around 6-7°C all night & frosts ever since so I gave it a go.

A Double-striped Pug

& same one closed

& White Speck

Nothing earth-shattering, but a start!

• Hi H ...Intend to keep these first eggs to watch/study & see if any hatch but won't breed from them as they are result of brother/sister union which was a mistake on my part & viruses could occur...............have located a heather woodland patch at some woods only a short distance from mine & will let any survivors take their chances there & if they pupate & eclose successfully then there will be a non-related gene pool to mingle with later next year!
    I hope, over this weekend, to take my second female there in the hope that she will attract an unrelated male to mate with, then I can bring her back & maybe start a breeding stock! Have released my two males here in the hope they will find females to mate with though never attracted any before! Weather has improved a great deal here although still chilly East wind!

• Gosh, you are well organised. I did a trap 2 nights ago but only got 8 species compared to about 25 last weekend! I've been going green with envy looking at the results of a trap of what sounds like a Brit in eastern France. He had 51 species a couple of nights ago in the Alps with temperatures around 0°C. The area looks quite woody, but even so..... I had a little one flying past the kitchen window when we were having dinner last night, so I ran out with my net & did a lovely tennis jump & caught it. It turned out to be a new one for me

Its a Skin moth (Monopis laevigella) & lives on animal debris ! Nice!

• How very athletic H to bring us a newbie! Lol Just been reading on UKMoths about it being quite common but flying early at yours ... May time here, maybe seen one without realising & lives off Owl pellets & bird nest detritus amongst other things!

• Something I've never seen before (only on video) ... my female Emperor Moth, who is hanging from top of butterfly house, showing her ovipositor tonight!!
    I had put her outside today to see if any passing males but the weather was dull & chilly so no luck but she is obviously ready to mate!   EDIT:  Later observation methinks she may be starting to lay unfertilised eggs!

• It may be a bit early in the UK for the resident males. We've not had many around yet. How long do they live, do you think she may hang on for a couple of weeks?
  • Oh dear, didn't think of that H! She laid four eggs overnight but seems to have retracted said ovi-wotsit ... is having another flap around tonight though! I have been advised that it's OK to pop her into fridge for a couple of days to calm her down & preserve the viability of eggs ... Not a very nice thought!!
    Weather wasn't good today, fingers crossed for a small decent window tomorrow early afternoon!
  • Little bit of brightness after the fog/drizzle but no luck with males locally ... here's a pic of the eggs laid from the incestuous pairing .... how many do you see?

I have a lovely patch of wild bramble earmarked to release any hatchlings into!!!

• I'm not falling for that one - you're just hoping someone counts them so you don't have to :)
    Hope you get a few caterpillars regardless.
  • Chicken!!! 165!!  Weather still bad here Lol

• Have moved on now to count the larvae!!! 

This sight greeted me today ... hundreds of 'em!!

Quickly covered them with Bramble leaves ...

Help!!!  Where's the nearest Bramble patch? Lol

Still waiting for some decent weather to mate second female Emperor to an unrelated male!