Your best 3 photos for the month of December 2018

It's that time again for your best three photos. Looking forwards to seeing them.

And a Happy New Year to all and the RSPB

The best of November thread is Here for 2018

My Three.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Great chose of photos Jim;    I didn't take that many photos this month so struggling to find three which haven't been in posts.

I chose this Leighton Moss (boardwalk) robin because I loved the way it was so confiding, stretching up to see inside the pot of live mealworms that Mike was offering it ...

Common Snipe

Shoveler drake

Regards, Hazel 

• Fab photos, Hazel and Jim--thanks for posting and I look forward to photos from the other photographers!

Kind regards, Ann

• Happy New Year! 

@Jim, Lovely shots I especially love the one with Mallard preening, so beautiful! 

@Hazel, I really like the Snipe, It just shows how well their cryptic plumage blends in with the vegetation in winter, I bet I wouldn't be able to spot it from afar. 

• My best photo's in month of December were of the Dipper in Bristol City Park. They were challenging shots as the light was very poor under the tree canopy but luckily there was times where it would just stop foraging and would just rest and have a look around.

My 2nd photo of the Dunlin was taken on the 9th December at Severn Beach Bristol. The Dunlin was 1 of 22 that were all sitting on the rocks looking out to the incoming sea. I was watching all the Dunlin hoping that just one of them would turn around for me so I could get the shot, but they were all intent in concentrating on the sea. Eventually a dog started to run towards them and they all turned at the same time and took off. That was my opportunity. If only I had my zoom lens with me I could of got them all in the frame.

The 3rd photo was taken at WWT Slimbridge. There were lots of Gadwall flying past this is just one of the better captures.

• Excellent photos and good behavioural stuff, too.

This Egret was actually taken on Nov 30 at Pennington but I didn't get to process it until Dec. 

Have to include the rarest sighting of the month (or probably the year) for me, the Velvet Scoter, which turned up just a few miles away and stayed for over a month - it may have finally departed as it was reported absent on the 30th. This was from my second visit as it had been very grey on the first attempt.

It's not often I get frame filling photos of Ruff

Nige   Flickr

• Just love the Heron Shot with the Pike and onlooking Crow wanting some action.

• I love the heron photo eating its dinner with the crow looking on, in hope...

• Nice photos Hazel, especially the robin tempted to feed from the tub.

• Like Hazel, I wasn't out and about much during December, but the choice was harder due to the lack of decent photos, probably as a result of rubbish light and weather when I was able to get out.

Still, here's my three:

A stonechat

Great White Egret

Nuthatch