"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Catlady, do hope you get the mower back soon, the electric mowers are easy and lightweight to use but such a nuisance when you have to drag such a long length of cable behind you. Yes, the Jays did look a bit sorry for themselves but all the birds had extra food treats today with such horrible weather so they didn't have to waste energy hunting for natural foods. I think the GTs are already on their first brood, also the robins and blackbirds so nesting season is in full swing ! Glad you had a lovely sunny day, we should get better weather by Monday and the rain should finish tonight.

Regards, Hazel 

• It has been 'orrible today, although I'm reluctant to complain given that water levels had been getting low and Summer's not even started yet. The Jays do look soggy though so I'm not surprised they were keen to hang around and take advantage of the extra food.

Nige   Flickr

• Fabulous pics of the Jays Hazy, they do look funny with their hairstyles and expressions. Your garden is looking good, as you say this rain was badly needed, but the wind was horrible, Felt so sorry for the birds getting blown about, they are such tough little things and this time of the year have it hard enough trying to bring up their fledglings etc let alone battle the gales.

Lot to learn

• I've not seen so many hares around this year. One from today and would have probably missed him or her as the tell tail ears were laid low. Thankfully he/she was fully alert with ears twitching as I approached the field so I knew he/she must be hunkered down somewhere.

• Great Crested Grebes at Loch Leven early this morning...with added soundtrack for a better sense of how it was. :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Sunday I went to Devon, pleased to of seen lots of Siskin, Yellowhammers and Stonechats. I counted 5 Redstarts, 13 Pied Flycatchers and 2 Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers. The LSW's are so small not much bigger than the redstarts.

• The Female Pied Flycatchers were busy collecting nesting material where as the males just appeared to be finding food for themselves.

• Sounds like a rewarding trip. I hope we get a Pied Flycatcher or two up here again this year.

Nige   Flickr

• Nigel I have Seen them in my county of Somerset and Last week at RSPB Nagshead & Highnam Woods (Gloucestershire). They seem to arrive the same time the Redstarts do and Always usually in the same locations. Usually the Males come first, then the females. This Redstart was very inquisitive like a robin and came in close to check me out. I realised later that it was only really interested in the ants nest I was standing on which I was unaware of. I relocated and watched from afar many birds taking ants from the same spot.