"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

• Perhaps that's why my ID-ing skills are so poor, if I'm mistaking birds for people!!??
  • The same as the sea of Minsmere, some days grey, some days brown, rarely blue. Great atmospheric picture.
  • Thanks folks, your kind comments are very much appreciated.
    I wouldn't want to surf there, PB, I've paddled in the summer and the cold pain was intense.!! :-/
  • PimperneBloke said:

Oh no.... Maggie got fired out of a cannon

Look Mum, No wings

Brilliant captures PB

• Paul A said:

A wee bit grainy, but I like this one. It's pretty much the colour of the Forth estuary on most days.!! :-)

But very atmospheric

• Unknown said:
    I like it very much also Paul; you have such a magical way of bringing your photos to life - I've gotta lot to learn with photography, composition and also not to get into the habit of cropping everything lol

With photography, you never stop learning, and don't worry about the cropping, sometimes it's a necessity to make the subject clear when photographing in challenging conditions.

• Nipped over to Burton Mere Wetlands today and although most folk there reported a very quiet day on the whole we did see a few species albeit not always close enough for photos.     On arriving at the car park a Green Woodpecker was being chased by corvids and let out plenty of Yaffling as it flew across from right to left.    We also saw a pair of Stonechats fairly close to which were outside Marsh Covert Hide.    Two Kestrels were searching for lunch but on the far side of the pool although one did make a fleeting visit nearer our hide but was harassed by a Rook.    Pied Wagtails, Lapwings, two Redshanks, Greylags were in view but once again too far for pics.    It was only a quick trip over to the Wirral and it got pretty chilly by mid afternoon when we returned home again.     Here's a few pics that I managed.     I heard a Cetti's Warbler also and saw one butterfly (hard to tell which as it headed across, silhouetted by the sun) and also saw a Migrant or Southern Hawker plus Common Darter -  still quite a few insects on the wing around.      Think that will change by Friday !  

The beautiful Stonechats ……….       who's a handsome boy then ?   !

and Lady Stonechat …...   who's a pretty girl then ?  

Goodbye Mrs Stonechat,  nice of you to call by   ! 

Kestrel

Bit distant but it did land as it sought out prey a couple of times -  no success from what I saw 

and bad pic (into the sun) to show you the Rook which had just intercepted the Kestrel's flight path   ! 

pretty hard cropped to see anything in this pic............

• Super set Hazel...looks like you stole my blue skies!!
  • At least you got out in the sun. Nice to see the Green Woodpecker is back in the area and excellent photos, especially of Mrs S in flight.
  • Lovely shots, Hazel. All the Stonechats have been hiding from me for the past while. :-(