"Odds & Sods" (old version) - please add to the new thread 2020 instead !

THIS THREAD IS NOW DISCONTINUED,   please add to the new 2020 thread HERE

Often we don't have enough photos to create a full thread so thought I'd start an Odds & Sods thread where you may want to add a pic or two when you don't have enough for their own thread .    Feel free to add your rogues gallery here ! 

I only had a couple of pics today, one a Treecreeper and the other a very hacked off looking Great Egret huddled against the reeds trying to keep warm !

• PimperneBloke said:

A couple from Arne today

The web itself was about 9 inches across, and the trees the support strands were attached to were about 6 feet apart!

I do like the photo of the spider
  • Mike, I've only had the eos90d a week so still playing around with settings but pleased with results so far. It seems pretty quick in focusing with a 45 cross-type AF points with multi controller so good in low light. Has 32.5mp APS C CMOS sensor which improves detail and fires up to 10fps.
    My old 100-400mm mk1 fits as it takes both EF/EF-S lens mounts so yes it's all good so far. Canon have a few packages on offer at present but it's not in the current cash back promo. The new lens with it now has IS which is helpful and it has a good size fully twistable screen so it can be folded back into the body for use and then folded back around to protect it when not in use. I compared with the EOS80D & a couple of others and thought for money best option & offered a better specification.
  • Mike, a couple of pics from todays outing taken from the car. The first is the original shot and the second is a greatly cropped version of the same shot a Mistle Thrush I think, taken with the EOS90D & 18-135mm lens at full zoom. 

Just to give you an idea of the its performance for your friend.

Personally I'm quite pleased with the results.

• A few from the weekend. Nice to get relatively close to a couple of buzzards, young male red deer and an attempt at macro on a red admiral on ivy on a country lane (noticed the ivy full of insects recently).

• Always nice to get close to perched Buzzards, as opposed to the more usual in-flight Slight smile Beautiful deer and flutterby, too

Unknown said:
    noticed the ivy full of insects recently

Ivy is one of the later flowering plants (and less obvious), so great for insects in September and October as there isn't much else around still providing nectar. Always worth investigating if you want more subjects for macro work.

• Two for one shot on the deer Bob, I like it.
  • Two for one shot on the deer Bob, I like it.
  • Oooooh! Wot a surprise on my trailcam in early hours ... cheeky thing!

• Tony T said:
    Mike, I've only had the eos90d a week so still playing around with settings but pleased with results so far. It seems pretty quick in focusing with a 45 cross-type AF points with multi controller so good in low light. Has 32.5mp APS C CMOS sensor which improves detail and fires up to 10fps.
    My old 100-400mm mk1 fits as it takes both EF/EF-S lens mounts so yes it's all good so far. Canon have a few packages on offer at present but it's not in the current cash back promo. The new lens with it now has IS which is helpful and it has a good size fully twistable screen so it can be folded back into the body for use and then folded back around to protect it when not in use. I compared with the EOS80D & a couple of others and thought for money best option & offered a better specification.

I think my old 750D, which has the swivel LCD screen the same as the 90D and its predecessor the 80D, was 7fps and 24.2MPxl, that too took the EF/EFS mounts.

The swivel/twistable screen is good for those awkward photos where you have to hold the camera high, or even low, or just angling the screen so you don't get any glare or reflection while trying to take that photo or video.

It's still early days for any offers, but from what you describe, its a damned good replacement for the 750D & 80D, whether it beats the 7D MkII I don't know.

• Tony T said:

Mike, a couple of pics from todays outing taken from the car. The first is the original shot and the second is a greatly cropped version of the same shot a Mistle Thrush I think, taken with the EOS90D & 18-135mm lens at full zoom. 

Just to give you an idea of the its performance for your friend.

Personally I'm quite pleased with the results.

That's good, especially with the 18-135 lens, and thank you.

I think its a case of encouraging him to hold fire, and not rush to buy the 7D, which he seems very keen on.

He has seen my 750D, so will know the virtue of the screen.