Beautiful Butterflies 2018

Waiting for H to transfer her Comma over!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Sorry Sarah. I forgot to ask how your lovely dog Bramble is getting on. And, I believe you've got another dog (Toby?) now.

I went to Warburg which is a local(ish) Wildlife Trust reserve up in the glorious Chilterns. Hoping to see Green Hairstreak butterflies as mentioned above. Sadly, nothing doing and it was fairly quiet but after some searching I managed to locate some cooperative species.

I'll kick off with an unremarkable Speckled Wood

A Meadow Brown (Revised ID) Small Heath

I don't think I've ever seen Dingy Skipper in the UK before so I was quite pleased. to find them. 

I came across one location where Common Blue butterflies were really active. It was mostly males fighting each other and they rarely settled but I got a few shots. Stunning blue colour in the sunshine

And, the underwing of the male

Now, this is where I need some help. At first I assumed this was a female Common Blue and it may well be.

However, I did wonder whether it might be a Brown Argus which look very similar. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the base of the upper wing to see if there was any hint of blue or violet. Apparently, a Common Blue has a wing spot on the underside of the forewing in the area shown below which the Brown Argus doesn't.

What do you experts think - female Common Blue or Brown Argus?

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• fabulous photos Sarah and Tony and such pretty species, thanks for sharing these beauties.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Jim, like your shots as well have not seen a comma yet.

• Great pictures Tony, some species I've never seen before.

• Fabulous shots Tony. I love the speckled woods. I've yet to see the common blue in person. WE are developing a wildflower meadow and are hoping to get a good range of butterflies.

Sadly Bramble passed away last summer aged 14yrs. She was a fantastic little dog and is much missed.

My daughter who works for the National Trust has Toby and he's almost 3 now. We now have Jack who's 16 months old and is quite the character. He did overlap with Bramble for a few months.

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramble67/

• Sorry to hear about Bramble's passing, Sarah. She made it to a good age and no doubt enjoyed the Devon countryside after living in west London. I remember how worried you were when she got very ill after a walk in Black Park(?) but made a good recovery. Jack looks absolutely gorgeous and that's a great shot of him framed by the flowers.

I forgot to add this photo of a Grizzled Skipper which I saw at Warburg. I'd initially mistaken it for another Dingy Skipper. First one I've seen in the UK

I didn't see anything new today at a different BBOWT  reserve.(Chimney Meadows). In fact I didn't see much at all despite walking for miles.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Nice photo TJ. We get them here but also quite a few close relations so unless you cut them up, they stay nameless, which mine always are! Sorry you had a blank day, it's goes that way sometimes, no reason, just not a lot about!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• I didn't know I had Green Hairstreaks practically round the corner, but got this on the edge of West Pennine Moors

Nige   Flickr

• I don't see the variety that you folks get further south but of the ones I do see these are my favourites.

Small Copper

My bird photos HERE

• They're one of my favs as well, although I've not seen one yet this year.

Nige   Flickr