Mainly Mammals 2018

I thought I'd get this one started for the year with a couple of likely lads that got in the fat ball container & then the lid must have fallen back after them! I think they are field (wood) mice.

I released them in the vines & ran home so they couldn't follow me! LOL

The old thread is here https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/193516.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Isn't it also the case that the white bum shows up better at night so making it easier for them to follow each other?

• No reason why a trait can't have more than one benefit, although I wonder how anyone might test that theory to prove if the animals are actually using it or not. I can imagine people painting them black to see if those behind get lost more often!

Nige   Flickr

• Filmed 30th January 2018 just outside Andover, Hampshire. While out on my nature wander I came across this lovely Fox, I was looking at a Buzzard where I often also see other Birds and wildlife, I then noticed in the distance the Fox. Its always hard to resist to try and get closer, but often if you do, you'll alert the animal to you. Luckily I stayed still and watched as it moved around and then started wandering towards me, Iwandered just how close it would get before it noticed me... it got very close. Its always a great treat to see a Fox in the countryside. The last time I saw a Fox in the same area, it saw me before I got the chance to film it, so it was my turn this time. 

• wonderful footage of the fox John,  thanks for sharing this clip.

Regards, Hazel 

• Very well spotted & filmed John, until the end I didn't realise how far away it all was! The fox looked a young adult to me, very bouncy & playful!

Best wishes

• I could have sworn that there were two Squirrels when I took the shot. One of them must be hiding somewhere.!!

My bird photos HERE

• Lovely pair of cuties Paul, don't let Hazy see them though! LOL

Best wishes

• Hazel C said:

Lovely pair of cuties Paul, don't let Hazy see them though! LOL

lol Hazel,    Sadly, the joy of watching grey squirrel antics is over as today one was having a good gnaw at the lovely oak bark, stripping it off the bottom of the trunk - these are very old oak trees which are protected in our area under conservation law and they are slowly getting wrecked along with branches which come tumbling down when the squirrels constantly chew on them to file down their ever growing teeth.     Time to say goodbye to the garden Cyrils, enough is enough  :(    although it will take a while to thin their numbers out.    Kania2000  is supposed to be the most humane way to cull the greys so it's decision time now -    sigh :(  

Having said this, I do love your photo Paul,  if only they would stay in a limited area of each county instead of invading every garden !    

Regards, Hazel 

• Hazel, You have a tough decision to make regarding your Cyrils.  How does the Kania manage not to capture anything else such as Jays, etc.?  Are there any regulations regarding supplying your local nouveau eatery with Cyrils--lol?!

Kind regards, Ann

• Loved that video John, you did so well keeping still when the fox was heading your way, I wonder what the Buzzard thought of it all sitting up there in that tree away from the action.

Paul the now you see me now you don't actions of the guilty Cyrils made me laugh.

Lot to learn