Red Kite

Just had a red kite flying over my garden,I live in the middle of Suffolk and can honestly say I have never seen red kites in Suffolk before. Anyone know of other sightings?
  • The shortage of food issue was first identified over 10 years ago - at Bempton there is a sign asking for donations to do a marine park - I suppose to protect the food of the birds.

The synthetic turf issue has also got to do with covering the soil - birds cannot look for worms etc. Come to this, neither can foxes. No slugs for the hedgehogs, mosquitos for the swifts and house martens and so on.

We were really happy to see the red kite! We also saw a partridge just outside Bempton Cliffs - on the road to the village. Strange behaviour - I had to slow the car down or we would have run it over. It then moved to the side of the road and continued grazing there. I would have taken a photo but there was somebody behind us almost tailgating so we had to move on.

Enjoy Northumberland - it's great for birdwatching. There are some roseate terns on Coquet Island and along the coast a slightly outside Seahouses - near the caravan site. I wonder if the bridled tern will turn up this year too ... Have you seen anything interesting?

My Gallery

"Any glimpse into the life of an animal quickens our own and makes it so much the larger and better in every way." John Muir

• We had a good time in Northumberland as usual,we did not get on the Croquet Island cruise as,due to the tides,sailing times were mornings and that is not good for me.We did get to the Little and Arctic Tern colony between High Newton and Beadnal as well as our annual pilgrimage to Lindisfarne so all in all a good break.

If the partridge was a Red Legged it may be a released bird and they do seem to act strangely although I would have thought it was too early in the year for birds to have been released.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Glad you had a good time Pete. We met some friends in Bempton who came down from Northumberland, they told us tides were particularly bad this year and for a few days the boats didn't sail at all.

I am not sure if the partridge was a red legged one. I was so surprised when we saw it in the middle of the road. I asked hubby to pass me a camera (I was driving) so I could take a photo but the bloke behind us was rather impatient and the road is dead narrow, so eventually we had to move on. The bird continued foraging, uncovered, at the side of the road. One would have thought a 'wild' bird would have run for cover - but then again as I said I can't be sure.

My Gallery

"Any glimpse into the life of an animal quickens our own and makes it so much the larger and better in every way." John Muir