Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• A few more of my newbies from July, they are quite hard to to get now so there is a higher proportion of micros to macros (as I've had a lot higher percentage of macros than micros) if you see what I mean!

A Pyralidae to start Phycita roboella

& a Tineidae Cephimallota crassiflavella

another Pyralidae Conobathra tumidana

a beautiful macro, Scorched Wing,

& a rare one, a Geometridae with no English name Perizoma lugdunaria

a Sycamore moth

a Powdered Rustic

a Bee moth

another micomoth, Crambidae, Calamotropha paludella

& another Crambidae Psammotis pulveralis

a Gelechiidae which is probably a "species" but I'll go for Scrobipalpa instibilella

another Pyralidae Pempelia formosa

& finally a Tortricdae Diceratura ostrinana which was probably my favourite micro of the batch (shame about the photo)

As usual, thanks for looking!

Best wishes

• Hazel C said:
    they are quite hard to to get now so there is a higher proportion of micros to macros (as I've had a lot higher percentage of macros than micros) if you see what I mean!

Does this mean that the season for the larger moths is coming to an end? Nice collection of micros nevertheless.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I've put this on the Insects thread too, but as I imagine it is moth related, can anyone ID this fellow? My Victoria Plums each have one inside. A sort of Kinder (Unpleasant) Surprise. Other novelty filled aggs are available... It is less than 1cm in length.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• I suspect the larva of the Codling Moth, MC. It's a major pest of apples and pears as well.

ukmoths.org.uk/show.php

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Codling eh? Sounds like I should be eating it with a plate of chips! I'll have to see if there's a reliable way of getting rid of them. I assume they lay eggs in the blossom?

• Found this rather dapper looking moth near the watering can. Any ideas..?

• Unknown said:
    Found this rather dapper looking moth near the watering can. Any ideas..?

That's nice. It's a Garden Tiger, very spectacular looking moth but apparently quite common at this time of year. Having said that I've never seen one in my garden.

Re the maggot in the plums. It might be the Plum Moth. Apparently, this is a new pest to attack plums. See article.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Plenty of Jersey Tigers being seen around Exmouth. Had one in the garden this week with other reports elsewhere around town. Day time fliers are unmissable and unmistakable.

• Unknown said:
    Re the maggot in the plums. It might be the Plum Moth. Apparently, this is a new pest to attack plums. See article.

Really interesting article & it sounds right, but the moth in the photo is a poor innocent bystander & nothing to do with Plum moths. I expect the editor said "Get me a picture of any moth". The plum moth is a small brown job!

My ramblings confused me too TJ but basically I've had a lot more macros in the past, so not not so many new ones to find. However with 5000 micros out there, more & more of the new ones are micros. Clear as mud!! 

Best wishes