Mostly Moths

Just a quick hello, the move went well but too much to do & too little time to do it. I did a moth trap last Friday only 2 days after we finished moving, there over 250 moths & I'm still sorting them. This is one that came to the window soon after we moved, just to whet your appetites.

It's called a Brown China-mark.

Sorry it's a quick visit, will pop in again in a few days!

P.S This is the link to my previous moth thread http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/111255.aspx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• WOW!!!!!!!! Brilliant night DO, True Lovers Knot would probably be my favourire too, I've never seen it & it looks really striking. Interestingly I had a Small Grass Emerald the night of 20/21 July my first of the year. It must be their season. Such a fabulous selection though, amazing.

I'm doing a public night on the 8th August so keeping my fingers crossed for a good lot. It's funny how they come & go. On the 18 July I had an incredible 35 Leopard moths in & around one trap. On the 21 July there wasn't one. I think the local Black redstarts must have pigged out!

Best wishes

• Thanks Hazel, we were thinking the local bats and Nightjars would be well pleased concentrating all these moths in one place...for one night only! Nice to also see different Footman, a great collection. Have fun with the the open night.

D

• Another few from me but I'm starting to despair when it comes to ID's. Just when you think you've found a similar picture of one, you find another different type which looks the same, then another, and another......!! I'll just post the photo's anyway and have a stab in the dark at the first one.

Shaded Broad Bar (Scotopteryx chenopdiata)??

Possibly the same type again but it looks different (but similar)...or does it.? All very confusing.!!

I've no idea what this one is.

This may come as a bit of a shock to you, but I've no idea what this one is either.!!

Finally, a Five-spot Burnet (Narrow Bordered?). I'm really happy with this as it's the first one I've seen within a mile or so of my home.

My bird photos HERE

• Hi Paul, you're really getting into these moths aren't you? Spot on with one & two, both look like Shaded broad bar. The third is a micro moth probably in the Crambidae faimlly but I could do with a side view?? The fourth is a Tortricidae familly, probably Celypha lacunana but it has several close relations.

It's no good talking to me about Burnets as I'm useless on them!

Great photos too!

Best wishes

• Thanks Hazel. Please don't feel the need to ID ever different Moth which I put on here, I'm sure you have other things you could be doing. It is much appreciated however, I've no idea how you do it, most impressive.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE

• I love doing it Paul, & it's amazing how often, when you're looking for one thing, you find another that you couldn't find previously!!

Best wishes

• Too true,Hazel.Was looking for Hoverflies ( giving up on what I now think is a non-existent Flycatcher!  ) and spotted this on the way home.A first for me.

You do brilliantly with the tiny ones.I`d go along with c.lacunana - common marble moth.They get hard to id when they loose a few scales. - Scoparia ambigualis,maybe. 2nd thoughts - Eudonia truncicolella.

But I have this one down as Eudonia lacustrata. I may well start calling em all - Dave.

• Your first one is a fab Burnished Brass, I had my first & only this year. They seem to change colour before your eyes & are difficult to do justice to in a photo. However your photo does look a lot better than mine!

I think you're spot on with the micros, E.ambigualis & E.lacustrata.

Shame about the hover-flies but you found some compensations!

Best wishes

• Thanks,Hazel.I get my fair share of drably-coloured moths,still camouflaged for the dark/sooty/grimy millstone grit factory buildings here in W.Yorks.This Mottled Beauty was the highlight of the month until the BB arrived. lol.

• I've never seen that one Edge, or it's near relatives! We get a lot of Willow Beauty's & Pale Oak Beauty's. That's the interesting thing about moths, there are so many to find!

Best wishes