Thursday 21 August 12 Noon

Finally, the sighting which has eluded me for far too long. Mara and Brèagha up together and flying strongly. Chasing each other, attempting to talon grapple and generally just doing what sea eagles do best. A wonderful sight to behold!

Frisa and Skye, as ever, watching their offspring carefully from afar. Perhaps as relieved as I am to see that the chicks have finally rediscovered their family ties and are spending quality time together, revelling in the warm sun and gentle uplifting breeze. Summer's here and the livin' is easy.

Dave Sexton RSPB Mull Officer

The two Mull Eagle Watch sea eagle chicks at Loch Frisa this year have been named by children from the Salen Primary School Gaelic Unit. The male 'Mara' means 'sea' and the female 'Brèagha' means 'beauty' - very appropriate too.

• Hi

In answer to the queries above, yes they're here year round so come and visit Mull when it's a bit quieter - over the autumn or winter can be great for seeing eagles and other wildlife. I've witnessed nest building as early as October but most of it happens from the New Year. But a nice sunny day over autumn or winter can prompt them into action. Their breeding cycle really is year round as they may still have this year's chicks hanging around too. Yes, Frisa & Skye were filmed for the first Springwatch in 2005 when we had a week of live programmes from Mull and the chicks Itchy & Scratchy became international celebrities. Springwatch or Autumnwatch have done regular updates every year since and we're hoping they'll cover it this year with the sat tag story. At least they might if you all ask them to...

• Were these the chicks we saw on Springwatch earlier this year or last year? I seem to remember Simon King talking about Skye and Frisa. Thanks for the useful information. I spend ages everyday on the computer checking on "the birds". My husband thinks I've gone mad but thank you for the information Jill
  • You paint a wonderful picture David, I can almost see it. Sounds like you are having lovely weather too unlike the rest of us. Do you know the whereabouts of Itchy & Scratchy, are they still on Mull. In your previous post you mentioned Skye & Frisa would know where they were going to set up their nest by October. Does that mean they will start rebuilding it at that time......They must be keen breeding machines.
  • Hi David, Lovely blog, it must be really fantastic to have followed these fabulous birds and now see them fully fledged and flying together. I am up in the Highlands, only a few miles from LG and the Ospreys so we have been blooging there all summer and following the anxious moments of the Ospreys EJ,OVS Nethy and Deshar as they raised their family. I have never had an opportunity to visit the Mull Eagles but hope to next year in the spring. Sounds like you have fine weather in Mull, good news for the youngsters as they hone their flying skills.I have them locked into Google earth so look forward to following their journeys. Nethy and Deshar left LG yesterday and are now heading south albeit Deshar had a slight (70 mile!) detour out into the north sea...Dahhhh He is now following his sister thank goodness. Your blogs on this site are brilliant, thank you for all the information and hope to meet you next year. Question, do you stay there all year round???