• For the Birds

Hello,

RSPB Ynys-hir is playing host to a special event this October which will provide a fantastic opportunity to experience the reserve in a very different way. Please see the flyer below for more information.

If you would like more information on this event please click here. And to book a place online all the details can be found here.

• Ynys-hir Recent Sightings 1st-5th September 2014

Hello,

As this is my first blog for Ynys-hir I thought it would probably be best to begin by introducing myself.  My name is Adam and I’m one of two conservation interns who have recently migrated down from the uplands of RSPB Lake Vyrnwy.  Over the next six months I’m hoping to write regular blogs to keep you up to date with activity on the reserve.

Look out for Gipsywort whilst strolling around the reserve…

• Sunny at Ynys-hir

Really busy day with lots of fledged birds about. I did a survey this morning and saw pied flycatchers and a newly fledged family of redstarts. Around Caer Berllan lake there were reed, sedge and grasshopper warblers and a lesser-spotted woodpecker was calling from the trees. The lake was quite, but I did find a gadwall in with the mallards, an unusual bird in west Wales.
  • Spring First's!

A welcome return - first sighting of a pied flycatcher in the woods right behind the visitor centre. What's going to be next?

also in are, Sand Martin, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Swallow, Wheatear and Sandmartin,

Also News from

Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife - Glaslyn Ospreys.

Rejoice!

The first egg was seen in the nest at 10.10 this morning.  Saturday 5th April 2014 Here is a link

http://www.glaslynwildlife…

• The Team at Work (and play!)

Last few weeks of habitat management work before the breeding season begins. Neil and Geithin finishing off cutting the rushes on the smaller islands at Marian Mawr. Still time to put up a nest box at home or if doing some last minute pruning of bushes, why not leave a pile in a corner, it might become a new home for hedgehogs, newts or toads.

Also

AJ Butler one of our contractors getting to grips with the rush…

• Come and make a Nest box!

Half term here next week. Sunday's forecast looks a little damp at the moment, perfect for coming to the visitor Centre and making a nestbox to take home! Drop in from 11am-3pm, wooden nestboxes £7 each.

• Ynys-hir Storm Damage - update.

Our Wardens and volunteers wave been working hard, and the reserve is now open. There are some areas which are still inaccessible, however don't let this stop you visiting. Full details  are available at the Visitor Center.

• Ynys-hir storm damage

RSPB Ynys-hir: At present the reserve is still closed. The guys are out checking trails as I write. Lots of clearing work has happened, and we think we have probably had something like 50 trees down. We hope to be open by the end of the day but we will keep you all updated on here and Facebook.
    Here's a photo..

• A quick stop-press!

Female Smew at Domenlas, Ynys-hir, showing well.

• Lesser-spotted woodpeckers

It must be the warm winter weather that has resulted in the early start of one of the most frustrating events in the birdwatching calandar- looking for lesser-spotted woodpeckers. Ynys-hir is a particularly good spot for them, but they annually cause frustration, annoyance and stiff necks to many of our visitors. Firstly one has to find the right place to stand, that's easy at Ynys-hir as we helpfully tell you where to…
  • Latest News on the Wetland Bird Survey

RSPB Ynys-hir: Staff and volunteers have been out and about doing a WeBS (Wetland Bird Survey) this morning coinciding with high tide.

Some of the sightings include lapwing (c1100) curlew (249), pintail (31), shoveller (21) little egret (9), bar tailed godwit (15), black tailed godwit (1) and dunlin (131).

Don't forget that next weekend is our annual Big Garden Bird watch, when you too can count the birds in your garden…

• Dates for diaries: RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch and Big Schools’ Birdwatch

Count the wildlife that's counting on you. 

The RSPB’s annual Big Garden Birdwatch is back on Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 January 2014, giving people across the UK the chance to be part of the World’s biggest wildlife survey.  Almost 600,000 people across the UK took part in 2013 and between them counted more than 9 million birds.   

The annual wildlife survey provides the RSVP with an important snapshot…

• Update on Otters.

Alan Davies, a neighbourgh of ours, has given a link to a film he took of otters at Morben Isaf caravan park, a little further up the river Dyfi, over Christmas. He says that as the park is closed and no one is about they are getting bolder. It is a really wonderful sighting. And see below!

http://s366.photobucket.com/user/morbenisaf/media/ottersmorben2_zps28441716.mp4.html

• Happy New Year with a "Squelch"!

One of the biggest floods we have seen here for thirty-years today, January 3rd 2014, at Ynys-hir. The seawalls have been breached at Marian Mawr (photos) and most of our other wetlands have been flooded badly too. The high tide wader count on the breakwater fields was very dramatic with 310 curlews, 80 redshank, 20 bar-tailed godwits, four black-tailed godwits, a greenshank and a spotted redshank. We are now waiting…

• Ponies and Woodcock!

The ponies are in the woods at Ynys-hir at the moment. Checking them last night I flushed a woodcock. There are several in the woods at the moment, undoubtedly Scandinavian migrants, our resident UK breeding population is declining and we rarely see them here in the summer. West Wales is a woodcock hotspot during the winter as it is so mild. This year there seem to be lots; has anyone else seen any?

• Christmas Opening

The reserve is open every day from dawn and dusk appart from Christmas day when the reserve is closed. However, the visitor centre will be closed from 23 December to 2 January.

Nadolig Llawen

• Otters on the Dyfi

Interesting that these otters are happy being out and about, we've definitely had more sightings of otters being active during the day here at Ynys-hir recently. If anyone else has otter sightings in the Dyfi valley, let us know.

Check out this article from the BBC News web site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25339505

• They are still here!

The barnacle geese are still here at Ynys-hir on the Dyfi Estuary. Last week we had a maximum count of the winter with 322. At high tide, about 100 were close to the Saltings hide and at least eight had colour rings from when we caught them in November. In the next month they will be off, but where to nobody knows...yet!

• Facebook page migration..

You’ve probably all noticed that we’re closing down our Ynys-hir and Lake Vyrnwy facebook pages and we have set up a new ‘RSPB Mid Wales’ page.

We understand that some of you will be disappointed to see these pages go.

Here are some questions that you might have about all this change...   Why haven’t you just changed the page name?

Unfortunately Facebook doesn’t allow us to change the…

• Todays sightings at Ynys-hir

A good count of water birds on the reserve today. The Breakwater fields were particularly good due to the high tides. Highlights include: 321 barnacle geese, 255 teal, 46 pintail, 275 wigeon, 31 shoveller, 1 scaup, 5 Goldeneye, 256 lapwing, 205 curlew, 2 bar-tailed godwits, 4 black-tailed godwits, 85 redshank, 1 spotted redshank, 2 greenshank, 2 green sandpipers, kingfisher, goshawk and a peregrine.
  • Otters at Ynys-hir

After working in conservation for 17-years I am in a privalaged position to enjoy nature every day, but every so often one sees something that is truely inspiring, like this morning.... Taking a short cut to work I crossed a bridge over a small ditch, a movement caught my eye and I turned to see an arched back, with a luster like wet slate, disappear beneath the floating flot grass. I knew immediately what it was-…
  • Where do you go to my lovely?

On Tuesday BTO ringers from the SCAN ringing group and RSPB staff at Ynys-hir caught and ringed 25 barnacle geese from our increasing winter flock. Barnacle geese breed in Greenland and Svalbard with small populations in Finland and Denmark, a large proportion of these winter in Britain and Ireland. In addition, there are substantial feral populations in England. The Dyfi birds arrive annually in early to mid-September…
  • Todays sightings

A count of wildfowl on the reserve today came up with some really interesting totals: 320 mallards, 937 teals, 266 wigeons, 59 pintails, 21 shovellers, 294 barnacle geese, 115 curlews, 134 oystercatchers, three greenshanks, 134 lapwings, two black-tailed godwits and 300 golden plovers. Other birds include a hen harrier, 100+ redwings, five bullfinches, 30 reed buntings and two kingfishers.
  • "ditto"

I can only repeat a post from Dave Anning our site manager, when he went out on the reserve this week.

The Breakwater fields

"The breakwater fields from the Ynys-Feurig hide look amazing at the moment. 750 teal, 550 Mallard, 200+ wigeon, 25 shoveller, 3 black-tailed godwits and today a male manderin. On the estuary there are yet more wildfowl including 120 pintails. Also on the reserve this week is a ringtail…

• Continuing a theme - another great week for birds on the reserve.

Our winter visitors continue to provide a great spectacle here at the reserve, with continued good sightings.

Inevitably this post becomes a list!

However sightings include Green Sandpipers, Black-tailed GodwitRuff, Lapwing, Wigeon, Teal, Peregrine, Hen Harrier, Red Kite, Sparrowhawk, Gadwall, Shoveler and Golden Plover.

Consider activating the links in this post which will redirect you to the RSPB's excellent bird…