Hello,

As this is my first blog for Ynys-hir I thought it would probably be best to begin by introducing myself.  My name is Adam and I’m one of two conservation interns who have recently migrated down from the uplands of RSPB Lake Vyrnwy.  Over the next six months I’m hoping to write regular blogs to keep you up to date with activity on the reserve.

Look out for Gipsywort whilst strolling around the reserve. The small white flowers of this wetland species are a popular nectar source for bees at the moment.

With high pressure dominating throughout the week, we welcomed back warm sunshine and so did the reptiles and invertebrates with lots of Common Lizard’s basking on trail edges and good numbers of odonata and butterfly on the wing. Odonata observed around the fresh water bodies included, Emerald, Small Red and Blue-tailed damselflies, Common Darter, Black Darter, Southern Hawker and Brown Hawker. The most frequent butterfly species on the reserve was Speckled Wood which shared the air space with smaller numbers of Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Peacock, Comma, Green-Veined White, Large White, Brimstone and Wall butterflies.

Small Red Damselfly is a localised species in Wales. Key identity features include, an entirely red abdomen (in males), reddish legs and pterostigma (dots on wings), these can all be seen in the photograph above which was taken from the Wetland Trail Boardwalk during the week.

Autumn bird migration was in full swing, although the chances of more unusual species turning up were much reduced given the fantastic weather.  Careful scanning of fencelines and berry laden shrubs produced a nice selection of passerines including, Grey Wagtail, Whinchat (c. 6 birds throughout week including one from the Marian Mawr Hide, 5th), 2x Blackcap (Woodland Trail), Common Whitethroat, Willow Warbler (Wetland Trail Boardwalk, 2nd) and Spotted Flycatcher (Woodland Trail, 3rd).

Two Common Sandpiper were regulars from the Domen Las Hide.

The arrival of our first winter visitors was also notable with Barnacle Geese (feral flock built up to 110 birds, 5th), Pintail (6x on the 3rd), 2x Shoveler (Visitor Centre Pools, 3rd) and 4x Wigeon (Saltings Hide, 5th).

Other interesting avian sightings this week included, 2x Goosander (Domen Las Hide, daily), 12x Little Egret (Marian Mawr Hide, 5th), 1x Marsh Harrier (juvenile, Breakwater Hide, 2nd), 1x Peregrine Falcon (Covert Du Hide, regular), Water Rail (Ynys Eidiol Screen, 3rd),  1x Little Ringed Plover (Ynys Feurig Hide, 1st), 1x Green Sandpiper (Marian Mawr Hide, occasional), 1x Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (heard calling, Wetland Trail Boardwalk, 5th), 1x Common Redstart (Wetland Trail Boardwalk, 5th) and Willow Tit (heard calling in a mixed flock, Ynys Eidiol Screen, 3rd).

This little fella showed extremely well at high tide from the Domen Las Hide on the 5th. Kingfishers were also sighted from the Ynys Eidiol Screen and Breakwater Hide during the week.

Finally, just a quick heads up that we have some big high tides next week so a trip down to either the Breakwater or Saltings Hide, around high tide could be rewarding with goodies such as Little Stint and Curlew Sandpiper a possibility at this time of year.

Cheers,

Adam