Nuthatches and treecreepers

Former Contributor
Former Contributor

I visited The Lodge on Saturday - for the first time in about 25 years. I think the reserve is looking fantastic!

The very friendly RSPB lady in the car park gave us some tips on where to find nuthatches etc. Apparently there's one that frequents the tree opposite the information booth in the car park!

The hide's great - we took some good pics of chaffinch feeding/drinking from the windows. Then we walked down to the quarry, spotting one (and hearing many) treecreeper on the way. Large numbers of great, blue, and long tailed tit were feeding on the trees along the top of the quarry. In amongst them was at least one nuthatch.

A coal tit briefly visited the feeders outside the shop, where, although tempted by a toy nuthatch, I settled for a fluffy hoopoe with-almost-realistic call instead :-)

I'll definitely be back, as we didn't quite have time to fit in all the walks. Well done for maintaining the site so well and making it a great day out for wildlife and people too!

• Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your comments - I'm glad you enjoyed The Lodge. It's really great for us to receive comments - gives us quiet a boost!

Hope you manage to see the rest of the reserve in future visits; the new Sandy Ridge trail is well worth a look.

Best wishes,

Peter (Site Manager)

Best wishes,

Peter