RSPB Headquarters; The Lodge Reserve is going to have a Cafe!

At last after many years after members and other visitors feedback at the RSPB’s Lodge Reserve  as well as on this forum over many years! The RSPB Headquarters RSPB reserve The Lodge is going to get a Cafe. Since Shops and Cafe became part of a small number of the top major and popular RSPB Reserves with RSPB Leighton Moss being the first RSPB reserve to have a Shop and Cafe. some members have always wanted a Cafe at the RSPB’s Headquarters in Bedfordshire The Lodge Reserve. Now that is going to happen!

www.facebook.com/.../

Regards,

Ian.

• So long as it makes a profit every year, then that is fine. However, I have my doubts. I was at Leighton Moss yesterday (photo attached.....) and didn't use the cafe. Nothing against it, and I am sure a few people did use it at some point. My perception is people take their own food. I heard more food being consumed than bitterns booming, and almost as much munching as chiffchaffs chaffing. Unlike WWT's, where many visitors spend a lot of time 'indoors' during visits, RSPB reserves tend to attract more visitors who prefer to spend their time outside. I therefore have my doubts the cafe is money well spent, but I don't know The Lodge. I can only base my opinion on the reserves I've been to over the years. I reckon Minsmere is the only other RSPB located cafe that may make a profit that's over and above the setup costs as well as day to day running. I would rather money spent on the reserves. 

• In reply to ItisaRobbo:

Well I don’t use cafe’s on a regular basis at RSPB reserves as I don’t use the cafe at the Washington Wetlands Wildfowl Trusts Reserve either on a regular basis. But Saltholme gets huge numbers at that RSPB reserve along with the cafe. And if that is going to get members of the public and families into birdwatching and other wildlife as well as young children I’m all for that. I can remember the time when you needed at some RSPB reserves such as Minsmere, Leighton Moss etc when you needed to apply for a permit at the latest 6 months before your visit and Minsmere and Leighton Moss whee just open 4 days a week and strictly enforced and there where other RSPB reserves as well where you needed to get permits as well and also just open for part of the year. Also lots of RSPB reserves where no permits where needed again with only had limited opening and also only where open a few days each week. Thank goodness those days are over. If this is the way forward to attract more to visit such reserves and attract the future generation. Then I think this is excellent idea. I’m not old fashioned in that just birdwatchers should just be the only ones to visit RSPB reserves. You’ve got to attract those for the future of conservation!

Regards,

Ian.

• You don't use cafes but are in favour of opening cafes?

ItisaRobbo said:
    You don't use cafes but are in favour of opening cafes?

Yes! Have you not read my last reply! I’ll repeat again yes! If it attract more families and hopefully attract more into conservation, and encourage those with families yes! I don’t want RSPB. reserves just to be an exclusive club as I remember when I first joined the RSPB  50 years ago, possibly more. I couldn’t be clearer!

Regards,

Ian.

• So long as it makes a profit every year, then that is fine. However, I have my doubts. I was at Leighton Moss yesterday (photo attached.....) and didn't use the cafe. Nothing against it, and I am sure a few people did use it at some point. My perception is people take their own food. I heard more food being consumed than bitterns booming, and almost as much munching as chiffchaffs chaffing. Unlike WWT's, where many visitors spend a lot of time 'indoors' during visits, RSPB reserves tend to attract more visitors who prefer to spend their time outside. I therefore have my doubts the cafe is money well spent, but I don't know The Lodge. I can only base my opinion on the reserves I've been to over the years. I reckon Minsmere is the only other RSPB located cafe that may make a profit that's over and above the setup costs as well as day to day running. I would rather money spent on the reserves.

ItisaRobbo said:
    So long as it makes a profit every year, then that is fine. However, I have my doubts. I was at Leighton Moss yesterday (photo attached.....) and didn't use the cafe. Nothing against it, and I am sure a few people did use it at some point. My perception is people take their own food. I heard more food being consumed than bitterns booming, and almost as much munching as chiffchaffs chaffing. Unlike WWT's, where many visitors spend a lot of time 'indoors' during visits, RSPB reserves tend to attract more visitors who prefer to spend their time outside. I therefore have my doubts the cafe is money well spent, but I don't know The Lodge. I can only base my opinion on the reserves I've been to over the years. I reckon Minsmere is the only other RSPB located cafe that may make a profit that's over and above the setup costs as well as day to day running. I would rather money spent on the reserves.

The post you’ve sent is the same reply as the first. So why post a second time?

Regards,

Ian.