Moving to the area!

Hi there,

I currently volunteer at Old Moor in South Yorkshire, but in October I'll be moving down south as my partner is starting a new job in Stevenage.  I'm hoping to transfer my volunteering to the Lodge! 

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on nice places to live in the area, preferably somewhere between Sandy and Stevenage, with a train station.  We'd identified Hitchin as a possibility but know nothing about it and haven't had chance to visit yet.  Any help would be much appreciated - its difficult when all these places are just names on a map!

Also, if anyone has any info on volunteering at the Lodge, that would be great too!

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

• Hi Charlie,

I'll try my best to help on somewhere to live but the volunteering I won't be much use I'm afraid.

I live in Stevenage, though wouldn't reall recommend living here unless it's either in great ashby or in a village close by, but as you mention you'd like somewhere with a train station, somewhere like Baldock may be nice, or possibly Biggleswade?

Hitchin can be nice in some places but other areas can be horrible.

If you'd like anymore help let me know, I'll do my best to try and help!

Becca :-)

• Hi Charlie,

I'm the VPO here at The Lodge and I can help with the Volunteering question, if you'd like to contact valerie.thompson@rspb.org.uk she can let you know what roles we have here.

Good luck with the move, hope you find somewhere nice!

Mark

• Hello,

I don't know if this is any interest to you but I have a house in Biggleswade that is let out to 3 tennants and 2 left in the summer. We therefore have 2 large bedrooms to let in a 3 bed house, 1 current sitting tennant. It has a brand new bathroom downstairs, a shower room upstairs, large lounge / diner and a new kitchen 2 years ago, it is in Biggleswade 5 mins walk from the station but no where near the railway lines for train noise.

Rent is £250 per person per month, bills £130 per person per month.

If you are interested my email is anthea.saunders@gmail.com.

I also enjoy The Lodge and plan to volunteer after retirement. I am prone to early morning walks on the heath and round the car park - that seems to be where I see most birds.

Good luck!

Anthea