Hydes at Sandy

We had a fabulous afternoon at Sandy Lodge yesterday. It was the first time I visited since my Gran used to take us some 30 years ago during the summer holidays. I am sure I remember that there were more hydes at the reserve, can anyone remember ? 

Tracy

• Hi Fledgeling,

Glad you had a good time. Yes - there used to be one other hide, at the tiny pool in the woods known as Jack's pond. The hide itself looked a bit like an outside loo - room for one person only (from memory). We tend not to build them here, as people manage to see a lot without them - they are really suitable for wetland sites with lots of wildfowl. However, we are considering providing one more - for children - near the gatehouse, and we have plans to put in a screen from where you can watch badgers, sometime next year!

Peter

Best wishes,

Peter

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 15/08/2010 01:58 in reply to Peter Bradley

Hi Fledgling

Great to hear that you enjoyed yourself at the Lodge

It is one of my favourite haunts and I visit as much as I can too.

Peter: The hide that is to be built by the gatehouse sounds brilliant and kids will love it!!!!!!

Never knew about the one man hide - sounds a bit unusual!

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Thanks Kathy and Dave.  We are looking forward to putting in some new facilities over the next 18 months or so. I have seen a super 'childrens' hide at Woolenwick School, Stevenage, which may be a model for ours. We are in the process of working out what children (and parents) would really like here, and other ideas include a natural climbing frame, a permanent time trail, perhaps a 'tunnel' of some sort - all linking in to the wildlife and heritage of the reserve.

It's early days yet, so if you have any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be really pleased to hear them.

Thanks,

Peter

Best wishes,

Peter