As The Lodge is the headquarters of the RSPB, it should have a Cafe and a shop in a visitor centre like a number of other RSPB reserves.

AS The Lodge reserve is the headquarters of the RSPB, i think that The Lodge reserve should have at least a small visitor centre with a Cafe as well as a shop as at present. I've often wondered why The Lodge doesn't have a visitor centre like a number of other RSPB reserves like I posted about this subject in 2013 and particularly as it's well known as the RSPB's headquarters and must attract a lot of visitors including non bird watchers as well as bird watchers.

Regards,

Ian.

• Hi Ian,

Good news, we do now have a small visitor centre, with a wood burning stove, which sits at the start of the main trails and gives outstanding views over the new heath. Sadly no café, although this project was looked at a couple of years ago. The shop now have a chiller selling lovely sandwiches, wraps and salads-and you can grab a coffee or tea from the shop as well.

We also have new signage which has recently been installed, to make the entrance more welcoming.

Hope you can come down and see the changes in 2016!

Good birding,

Mark B

• Why was this project of a visitor centre with shop and a cafe not continued or given the go ahead after been discussed as this seems quite strange, as there are visitor centres with cafes at a number of other RSPB reserves and it seems quite strange not having one at the reserve which is the headquarters of the RSPB.

Regards,

Ian.