Mondays sightings

On arriving I headed straight to the hide , unfortunately birds seemed to be far and apart so after noting 20 blue tits and 7 great tits and 1 pigeon I decided to head for the quarry . At the signed junction for the quarry , galley hill I came upon a Treecreeper , coal tit and great spotted woodpecker , I could also hear the call of the green woodpecker and gold crest . I then walked through the woodland and ended up heading for the two small ponds . Here we're four spotted chasers large whites , emperor dragon fly , large red damselfly plus in the water tadpoles , newts and over head flew a flock of about 30 house martins . I moved off and headed for the ridge where it was fairly quiet except for the odd Wren and blackbird . I then returned too the hide where things livened up 3 G.S.Woodpeckers visited the feeders and fought against each other , a green woodpecker came up and close great sightings of this bird , Pheasant male and female , 2 magpies ,1 raven 5 chaffs then about four at the far side 2 female sparrow hawks flew out from the birch's one looked like a juvenile . Ten or so minutes later the Male perched itself on top of a birch tree . I stayed in the hide till 5pm then walked too the Galley hill as I ascended the incline a pair of raptors flew over and landed in one of the pine trees , I tracked one down and it was my first sighting of a female Hobby . A sudden movement showed me where the male was it flew off to the other side path a perched on a tall pine . Luckily it stayed long enough for me to photograph . Finally at the car park I was waiting for my lift when a flock of fourty birds flew over some landed in the trees the other side of the road . Most of these were fieldfare with around six thrushes . The last bird sighted was the incoming of about 15 gold finch great day out
  • Wish I didn't live hundreds of miles away, you always seem to get such great sightings there

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Thanks Kiteman. Sounds like you had a decent list by the end of the day! One thing I would say though is we don't have any fieldfare on site just yet, they usually arrive in October. However we do get good numbers of mistle thrush, I think colleagues have counted 100 plus, i've certainly counted an autumn flock of 80 or thereabouts. Please feel free to prove me wrong if you had any pictures!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.