Vange Marshes - Horses

I feel these are now becoming quite a problem. Most of the main paths are now just quagmires and they were feeding on the bushes today which could be a problem in the nesting season. Whilst some manure has some attraction to wildlife the amount is getting out of hand and I fear that there could be considerable leaching of ammonia and phosphates into the drainage ditches which could lead to excessive algae/weed growth. Although they seem quite friendly I think they could be quite intimidating to young children as they do approach you. I spoke to someone (Alan?) earlier in the year and I know the RSPB were trying to do something about it. I wondered what the current situation is?

Dave 

• It did seem a bit better this morning Alan but unfortunately a possible new problem. There were about four men and women with their kids riding mini-quad bikes all over the west end of the reserve and near the reed beds. I think this is likely to become a regular occurence in fine weekend weather if not nipped in the bud. I'm not sure what end they came in from but it should be possible to have gates that prevent entry I would think.

I reported this to David Lee at the Wat Tyler Centre.

Cheers, Dave

• Was it actually on the reserve? Was it at the Timber Wharf end or the Cromwell Manor end?

Terry

• Hi Terry. Yes definitely on the reserve. I think they might have come in from the Timber Wharf end. They were settled just across the small N/S dyke and going round in a circuit approximately from there up to the timber wharf gate, along by the lagoon dyke past the little viewing mound and back down to by the railway line. So generally towards the western end.

Dave

• Latest horse count is 10 including foals. A positive herd developing. I hope the legal thing is progressing well as the muddy season will soon be on us. I have to say I wouldn't risk taking children over there now in case there was a stampede!

Good luck, I know you are trying your best,

Dave

• Dave. Thanks for your good wishes and your right, the process is quite drawn out and we are confident of having it resolved soon.

Best wishes

Alan