Vange Marshes - Horses

I feel these are now becoming quite a problem. Most of the main paths are now just quagmires and they were feeding on the bushes today which could be a problem in the nesting season. Whilst some manure has some attraction to wildlife the amount is getting out of hand and I fear that there could be considerable leaching of ammonia and phosphates into the drainage ditches which could lead to excessive algae/weed growth. Although they seem quite friendly I think they could be quite intimidating to young children as they do approach you. I spoke to someone (Alan?) earlier in the year and I know the RSPB were trying to do something about it. I wondered what the current situation is?

Dave 

• Dear Dave,

Thank you for posting a message on the blog about the horses at Vange Marsh.  The horses are grazing illegally and the RSPB is in the process of having them removed.  There is a legal process through the courts that must be followed and unfortunately this does take some time.  We hope to be able to remove the horses before Christmas.  Next year once the reserve is back to normal we will have half a dozen cows grazing in the late summer and avoid the poaching we have now.

Kind regards,

David Hedges

South Essex Area Manager

• Thanks  for the update guys and good luck!

Dave

• One thing that migth be worth bearing in mind is the potential habitat for the rare BAP species the Hornet Robberfly.  Down the road at Tilbury Power station where they have a similar problem with horses they occur thanks to the dung left lying round in which the robberfly larva feed on dungfly larvae so its quite possible they occur on Vange Marshes too.  The species is rare because cows and horses are given various anti worming/parasite treatments which then makes the dung toxic to insect life - the horse at Tilbury and presumably those at Vange don't have this treatment.  So while the horses have to go, would it possible for the cows that will be replacing them to not have this treatment?

• Thank you for your comments regarding the relationship between hornet robber flies and wormer treatment of livestock.  Most livestock are given a wormer to prevent parasites building up in their stomachs and usually, for cattle, this is annually.  In general, horses are deemed to be more pets than livestock are wormed far more regularly (3 to 4 times per year) because parasites cause animals to lose condition and weight and be generally less healthy. 

There are a number of wormers available on the market and one common and extremely effective set of wormers are based on a chemical called ivermectin.  This type is longer lasting and effective, but does remain in dung and kills insects that come to feed on dung - hence your comment regarding the hornet robber fly. 

The RSPB needs graziers to manage habitats and we work alongside farmers to ensure that no avoidable damage to invertebrate communities occurs.  There are alternative wormers available that are not so long lasting and some farmers are happy to try these out.  Another way is looking at grazing regimes.  Very often cattle only graze RSPB nature reserves for around 6 or 7 months a year.  It is possible to agree that cattle will be wormed when livestock are off the nature reserve back at the farm or overwintering in barns.  If they are wormed several weeks before returning, they are then worm free, the residual ivermectin has worn off and the special insects on the nature reserves like the robber fly will not be affected.

The RSPB manages nature reserves for all wildlife, including invertebrates, and at the South Essex Marshes we have carried out full invertebrate surveys that inform the management plan.  Vange Marsh has quite a lot of RDB and even UKBAP invertebrate species.  The dry grassland where the horses are is managed with invertebrates in mind.  Without the horses, management is intended to be a short eight to ten week grazing regime from late summer leaving a lot of tussocky vegetation.  This will encourage the diverse plants that are food sources for invertebrates, keep some habitat structure which is also critical for invertebrates and the tussocks ensure eggs remain and hibernating species that use stems have habitat.  All this ensures species can fully complete their life cycles and the assemblage of species is maintained and hopefully diversifies.

The reserve is great for wildlife and, with these steps to ensure complete control over the grazing, we are confident we can ensure this for the future.

Dave Hedges

South Essex Area Manager

• I counted 9 ponies on Vange Marsh over the past couple of days. The tracks are very muddy and the eastern reedbed seems to have been trampled on by the ponies. I note that the situation had hoped to have been cleared by Christmas. Can you give me an update of the action taken to remove the ponies and to introduce grazing cattle, which I understand was always the plan?

I also note that the screen by the viewing area over the saline lagoon has been vandalised. Will this be repaired soon?

best wishes, Terry

• Terry

We had hoped to have the ponies removed before Christmas but this is a complex legal issue, which is taking longer to resolve than hoped. The 15m of fencing that had been removed has been repaired, and the viewing screen will be repaired.

Regards

Alan

• Thanks Alan,

any thoughts on when the ponies might be removed?

best wishes,

Terry

• Hi - an update is that there are now approximately six horses there! Unfortunately where the muddy rutted ground has hardened walking is very difficult on  the footpaths or anywhere for that matter. I've got dodgy knees but I would imagine it would be very difficult for the elderly or anyone with minor walking diabilities.

Good luck with the legal stuff!

Dave

• I was told that the rutted paths would be levelled out before they became dangerous to walkers. Maybe the ponies and horses could do this in time.

Terry 

• Our Wednesday volunteer work party have spent sometime on Vange Marsh levelling the footpaths. I had a walk over there on Thursday and it is looking much improved. Unfortunately the legal side of removing the horses is taking much longer than anticipated, but is ongoing. A new robust viewing screen has recently been installed overlooking the saline lagoon.

Cheers

Alan