Dormans Pool

Can anyone tell me if it is now possible for the public to visit Dormans without a permit, and if so what the arrangements are?

• Good morning Alcina. We haven't really gone full beans with telling everyone about Dorman’s Pool and access as there is currently ongoing work by Northumbrian Water around the car park and along the path to the hide. This makes parking and viewing here inaccessible and we think this will be the case to Easter but will let you know more when we do. Once the work is all finished and we're in no danger of new visitors getting lost/confused then we'll spread the word more widely.

As far as viewing from the top car park goes then both TBC and RSPB members have access.  It would be great if you could use the shorter track and get in that habit as plans are to make the longer route pedestrian only.

Hope that clears things up and if you have any more questions please ask away.

T

The more you're out the more you see - https://twitter.com/BoyWonderBirder 

• It's been several years ( about 10) since I had a permit so my memory is a bit hazy. By the top car park do you mean the area of rough grass where you can park  and see the pool from the car with the Rec behind you, as opposed to the area just inside the gate?  I usually bird with a disabled visitor, so it would be important to know if you mean the area where you can view from the car!

PS I don't remember a hide; I think it just have been before my time!

• Yep! The top car park is the one you think it is, only it's hard core rather than grass. The Rec. Pond is behind you with a small pool below the parking area and then reeds and then Dormans Pool. I think the perferred access Toby refers to is to follow the main road to the end of the crash barrier and then turn sharp left in front of the raised bund. A part hard core part mud track takes you to the top car park.

TBC recently moved the hide to it's current location opposite the top car park.

• Is there any further news about access to Dorman's Pool as it seems to have gone very quite about that subject lately?

Regards,

Ian.