Booked up with my RSPB Local Group from Newcastle for my first ever Saltholme visit!!

Well I'm booked up to visit Saltholme for the very first Time on March 22nd on the coach with the Newcastle RSPB Local Group and I'm really looking forward  to my visit. What kind of birds and other wildlife can I expect at Saltholme on that occasion? Can any of the Saltholme bloggers help with that question?

Regards,

Ian.

• That time of year is display time really, we'll have great crested grebe, redshank lapwing and black headed gulls, all preparing for the breeding season. Migrants arriving back, sand martins swallows could well be seen over the meadows. Little egrets are increasingly common and I would say that this is one of the best places to see water rail. There's a chance that yellow wagtails could be back on the reserve too, depending on how the weather is over the next month or so. Our brown hares should be pretty active by then, as will the foxes, and there's always a good chance of seeing water voles on the reserve too, which gives you a good chance of seeing raptors like marsh harriers, kestrels and sparrowhawks.

Hope this wets your appetite!

Lydia

• Thanks for that information. Looking forward to visiting Saltholme!

Regards,

Ian.