• Cafe re-opening on Friday 8 July

I'm delighted to report that the cafe refurbishment is on schedule and we'll be re-opening on Friday (8 July). Our cafe team are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Pop in for a breakfast bap, light lunch or a slice of cake. We'll also be serving cream teas - enjoy scones, jam and cream whilst sitting on the tea terrace admiring one of the loveliest views in West Sussex!

Cafe and tea terrace open 10 -…

• Spoonbills, skippers and stonechats - wildlife for the weekend

Thanks to volunteer Graham for his sightings review and wonderful photos.

A breezy day at Pulborough Brooks did not deter either the wildlife or a reasonable number of visitors from putting in an appearance.

I had walked no more than about 75 metres from the VC when I came across a female beautiful demoiselle perched by the side of the path.

At the the zigzag path a male kestrel provided a hovering display to a number…

• Skippers, spiders and stonechats - wildlife highlights at the reserve.

Thanks to our fantastic volunteer Graham for his report and photos from Sunday's 'hides & trails':

Although there were a few showers it was mostly dry at PB yesterday. There were a good number of visitors and plenty of wildlife highlights.

At Fattengates Courtyard I met Mark, one of our regular visitors. He showed me a photo of a golden-ringed dragonfly that he had taken last Wednesday from the path near…

• New arrivals

Over the past couple of months we’ve have been enjoying brilliant song and dazzling displays from our birds. But they’ve now moved on to the serious business of raising a family, and we are welcoming new arrivals. Eggs will have hatched and young birds will be making demands of their busy and harried parents!

We’ve had reports of nightingales, lesser whitethroat, garden warbler and blackcaps feeding young…

• Advance notice of cafe closure from 16 June for up to 3 weeks

The café will be closed from Thursday 16 June 2022 for up to 3 weeks for a refurbishment.

Whilst the café is closed, hot & cold drinks and a small range of pre-packed snacks such as sandwiches, crisps, chocolate bars and brownies will be available to purchase from the shop.

The tea terrace will be open but there will be no indoor seating.

The refurbishment will enable us to create a safe working environment…

• Homes to let

Our Visitor Experience Officer, Lydia, wrote this blog inspired by all of the nest-building that is happening on the reserve right now.

When walking around Pulborough Brooks and its different habitats you start to see different species favouring certain areas; whether this is the woodlark on the heathland, waders on the wetland or treecreepers in the woodland. But why is this?

Animals have adapted over thousands of years…

• Heathland heroes - fast & fierce four-spotted chasers

This is the perfect time of year to look for chaser dragonflies around our heathland pools.

Much of the four-spotted chaser’s life is spent hidden in the murky depths of the heathland pond. Around four weeks the after the female has laid her eggs the larvae hatch taking a minimum of two years in larval form to complete their development. The larvae are ambush predators; covered in numerous hair-like structures which trap…

• Heathland heroes - chirping crickets

Over the past few years we’ve been welcoming a very special creature to the heathland at Pulborough Brooks...the field cricket.

Field cricket by Pete Hughes

This chunky cricket is a mixture of brown and black with striking yellow wing bases.  The fine veins on the wings resemble wrought-iron work and it is the modified veins on these wings that form the ‘harp’ that enables the male to make a melodious but penetrating…

• Recent sightings - a sunny Sunday

With thanks to volunteer Graham for his account and stunning photos.

Although it was windy at PB yesterday, the sun was out and the wildlife did not disappoint. Whilst the singing nightingales continue to hide from my lens, there were plenty of other species on show around the reserve.

West Mead Hide continues to be a hotspot for visitors, particularly because of our breeding waders. At least two young lapwing broods…

• Heathland heroes - poor man's buttonholes and pixie flowers

An introduction to one of our prettiest spring flowers – greater stitchwort.

Greater stitchwort by Anna Allum

This pretty starry white springtime flower that grows to calf height is often found thriving alongside red campion and bluebells on our woodland floors and grass verges.

The plant’s name ‘stitchwort’ refers to its alleged ability to cure the pain associated with runners stitch. However there are many more…

• Early spring butterflies

Thanks to volunteer Phil for his article and photos. We're expecting a sunny weekend and there are plenty of butterflies to be seen out around the nature trails.

This article was first written for the Staff and Volunteer Newsletter in the first weeks of Lockdown 1 in 2020. With all the recent fine weather bringing out plenty of butterflies I thought it would be appropriate to revisit this for the blog. Two years ago…

• Birding for beginners

Volunteer John recounts an enjoyable morning on the reserve leading one of our 'birding for beginners' events.

We met on the terrace where over a cup of coffee we explained how to adjust your binoculars and which bird guides to get ( RSPB British Birds and Collins). As we chatted a red kite cruised by followed by a buzzard. A nice start.

Buzzard by Graham Osborne

At the Yurt  we got acquainted with blue and great…

• A day in the sun...

Volunteer John, recounts his enjoyable day in the sunshine at Pulborough Brooks.

It was so therapeutic to get away from all the doom and gloom and enjoy the warm sunshine today. And the nature on show was wonderful!

There were so many uplifting moments I don't know where to start. Let's deal with the butterflies first - A peacock sunning itself on the path, a brimstone wandering by, a speckled wood seeing off intruders…

• Heathland heroes - the violet ground beetle

Whilst I’m generally talking about birds at this time of year, reserving my enthusiasm for invertebrates until the summer months, there are some incredible invertebrates out and about even in the earlier months.

I couldn’t resist gently rolling a few of the logs on the wooded edge of the heath to admire the woodlice, centipedes and beetles. I was thrilled to see one of these:

Violet ground beetle by Carey…

• Recent sightings – a murmuration or not?

Thank you to volunteer Phil for his article and stunning photos.

Most readers will be familiar with the concept of a starling murmuration even if they haven’t actually seen one. These gatherings of anything from a few hundred to many hundreds of thousands of starlings are formed shortly before they go to roost for the night. The birds swirl around in remarkable synchronicity sometimes forming interesting shapes in the…

• Heathland heroes - the tawny owl.

Tawny owl by Graham Osborne

The sun is low over the western horizon and the sky painted with the glorious pink and orange hues of sunset. Dark silhouettes fly overheard calling ‘jack, jack’; the jackdaws and rooks are heading to bed. As the light fades further you can hear the noisy blackbirds – not the mellow song of the morning but the harsher ‘chink, chink’ calls that signal dusk. And then it becomes twilight and…

• What to look for this weekend...

If you're planning a visit over the weekend here's a sneak preview of the wildlife you could see.

Hen harrier & marsh harrier at the top of the list but a flock of 30 goldfinches adds to the charm.

Goldfinch by Anne Harwood

• Heathland heroes - the woodcock pilot

Goldcrest by Chris Prince

One of my favourite birds to look and listen out for on the wooded heath is the goldcrest. This tiny bird is continually on the move, foraging amongst the tree branches for its invertebrate prey and performing its high-pitched reeling song.

Whilst goldcrests can be seen here year round we do get an influx of them in winter. These tiny birds, weighing no more than a 20 pence piece, make the tricky…

• Recent Sightings Friday 21st February – The Stormcock

Thanks to volunteer Phil for his blog and photos.

On a beautiful sunny day that started with a chill in the air and then increasingly felt like Spring I returned to the Visitor Centre up the Zigzag Path accompanied by the sound of a song thrush loudly proclaiming its territory. However, the more I listened the more I had the feeling that something was not quite right. Somehow the typical repeated phrases of the song thrush…

• Sunday 20 February - site closed

Due to damage caused by Storm Eunice, including damage to the roof of one of the hides and fallen trees, we'll be closed on Sunday 20 February.

With high winds expected again all afternoon the car park, visitor centre and nature trails will be closed.

Sorry.

We'll update on the situation on Monday morning.

• Site closed due to weather warning for high winds - Friday 18 February

Due to a weather warning for high winds, we will be closed on Friday 18 February. We will re-open as soon as possible following safety checks. Please check for updates before visiting.

• Recent Sightings Friday 11 February – Going out to bat

Volunteer Phil recounts a rather unusual wildlife sighting for February in his latest blog...

This day proved bright and very sunny, looking very like spring, but chilly and still feeling like winter.

Around lunchtime I was looking out over the North Brooks from the hairpin bend above Jupps View in the company of 2 visitors. We were discussing the presence of a ruff feeding close to the lapwings, seen here in this photo…

• Needle in a haystack - the search for a golden plover

Many thanks to volunteer John for his account of a morning's birding at the reserve.

Along the zigzag we had the pleasure of seeing three bullfinches feeding in bright sunshine while a couple of greenfinch wheezed their spring song. Much of the way round was accompanied by the persistent song of several song thrushes and the general volume of birdsong was quite noticeable.

Song thrush by Anne Harwood.

From the t…

• Big Garden Birdwatch - what will you see?

Our new Visitor Experience Officer, Lydia, now reveals the top 5 in our Big Garden Birdwatch usual suspects list...

We're getting excited about this weekend's Big Garden Birdwatch - we can't wait to see which species will be top of the charts at our bird feeding station.  Could it be the chirpy house sparrow, or will it be the brilliant blue tit?

Last week's blog introduced you to the birds at 10 down to 6…

• Be wowed by your local wildlife - get ready for Big Garden Birdwatch.

It’s January and that only means one thing, it’s time for the Big Garden Birdwatch! Our new Visitor Experience Officer, Lydia, explains how to get involved and introduces you to some of the usual suspects!

Over the last 43 years the Big Garden Birdwatch has become one of the largest wildlife surveys and is really one of a kind. The magnitude of data collected over this time has given us a unique insight into…