• Sunshine, snakes and other sightings

Thanks to volunteer Graham for his report and photos.

After a cool start things warmed up nicely in the sun at Pulborough Brooks yesterday (Sunday). At Fattengates Courtyard a blue tit provided a welcome splash of colour

and a bank vole made a number of appearances. 

From the gate at the bottom of Upperton’s Field a stonechat provided a fairly distant target.

In West Mead Hide at least three snipe were on the…

• The not so early bird catches the worm - recent sightings from Pulborough Brooks

At West Mead Hide there was some long range raptor action with appearances by a marsh harrier and a peregrine, and eventually Neil spotted one of the white-tailed eagles in a distant tree, enabling a number of visitors to get views through our scopes. There were a number of red kites around, and one of them came close enough for a photo.

At closer range there was…

• A weekend watch of eagles - latest sightings from Pulborough Brooks

Thanks to volunteer John for his report from a busy weekend at the reserve.

After the Winterwatch mention of the white-tailed eagles at Pulborough Brooks an emergency appeal was issued asking for we volunteers to help out at the weekend in anticipation of an increase in visitors. News of the (fairly) regular visits from the eagles was already having a beneficial effect on visitor numbers and the publicity certainly added…

• A promising start to 2023 - new year's wildlife sightings

Our birding year got off to a great start over the first couple of days of January.  On New Year's Day we had to wait a while before the white-tailed eagles put in an appearance, but we were kept entertained by marsh harriers and red kites in the meantime. Snipe continue to delight, showing well from West Mead hide.

If you're heading out onto the wooded heathland, keep a look out for roving mixed flocks and search through…

• Update to parking charges - introduction of lower charge for short-stay parking

Happy New Year!

Update to parking charges at RSPB Pulborough Brooks – introduction of lower charge for short-stay parking.

We’ve reviewed our parking charges and for those visitors who are simply popping in for a short visit the parking charge will be £1 for up to an hours parking (rather than the current flat charge of £3). The parking charge can be paid using the ‘PaybyPhone’ app or at our welcome hut.…

• A soar of eagles and a raft of shovelers - recent wildlife sightings from RSPB Pulborough Brooks

Thanks to volunteer Graham for braving the rain and for his report and photos.

The weather forecast for Sunday was heavy rain, and it turned out to be accurate. As I set out on the wetland trail it had started to spit. On the zig-zag path we met former reserve warden Pete and his partner, and they advised us that the regular white-tailed eagles were on the North Brooks. We therefore headed to Hanger View and quickly spotted…

• Wagtails in winter

Thanks to volunteer Phil for his article and photos - pied wagtails in winter

In winter wildlife is often locked in a struggle to survive and this sometimes enable us to observe interesting behaviour. An afternoon visit to West Mead hide presented a rather quiet wintry scene with most of the pool still frozen over. A few lapwings could be seen on the islands and a few snipe were also probing around. What really caught…

• Festive opening times

Festive opening times

Ice skating snipe by Graham Osborne
    Up until Friday 23 Dec we're open as normal, but will be closing the car park and trails at 4.30 pm.  Please ensure you are off site by 4.30 pm.
    Christmas Eve & Christmas Day - car park, trails and visitor centre closed.
    Re-opening for 10 am on 26 December when the car park, trails and visitor centre will all be open.
    We'll then be open daily…
  • Wagtails, wigeon and white-tailed eagles - sightings highlights from a wintery Pulborough Brooks

A heavy frost gave the whole of Pulborough Brooks a silver makeover on Sunday.

The view from Upperton’s Pond.

Cold weather gear was the order of the day, as modelled by Neil, and the teasel heads also looked striking in their winter coats.

At Fattengates Courtyard seed sprinkled onto the logs attracted a good selection of birds, including this smart pied wagtail…

• A winter's tale - black-tailed godwits on the brooks

Amongst the winter highlights at the reserve are the elegant long-legged and long-beaked black-tailed godwits; wading birds who probe the mud of the pools and meadows in search of food. They will have travelled from their breeding grounds in Iceland, making a stop-off in East Anglia, before they begin to disperse to their favoured wintering spots. Some head south to the coasts and estuaries of France or down to Portugal…

• After the deluge...a day of surprises

Thanks to volunteer Phil for his report and photos: Recent Sightings – Friday 18 November – After the deluge a day of surprises

After very heavy rain earlier in the week it was no great surprise to arrive at Pulborough Brooks to find yet another big flood to follow the ones we had in the winter of 2019-20. While producing a spectacular scene it does have an impact on our winter waterbirds.

Wigeon for example…

• A splash of autumn colour to counteract the many splashes of rain

Thanks to volunteer Graham for his lovely photos from the weekend.

Graham's first picture, taken in the meadow between West Mead and Redstart Corner, features some rather magnificent parasol mushrooms.  These dinner-plate-sized mushrooms pop up regularly in the pasture fields on the reserve.

At Winpenny Hide a few gadwall were just about within range to show the fine vermiculation in the plumage of the males.

Whilst…

• Lunch in the company of dragonflies

Thanks to volunteer Phil for his report and photos

Friday 4 November was a beautifully clear and sunny day. The previous day’s heavy rain had cleared the atmosphere and the South Downs were etched sharply against the sky. However, for the first time in several months, there was a chill in the air and a breeze was blowing from the North West.

There were several signs of winter. The numbers of wildfowl and lapwings…

• I see no eagles...the latest wildlife sightings from RSPB Pulborough Brooks

With thanks to volunteer John for his report from a morning's wander.

No sea eagles seen but it was an irresistible morning - mild with sunshine. My first scan of the south brooks showed a large number of Canada geese and a satisfyingly good number of lapwing. A flock was on the newly wet West Mead pool with others dotted around the meadows. On the big oak one stock dove sunbathed, two magpies observed and two fieldfare…

• Dragons and damsels in the Arun Valley

Both of the RSPB sites within the Arun Valley, Pulborough Brooks and Amberley Wildbrooks, are renowned for their dragonfly and damselfly species. Indeed the assemblage of dragonflies and damselflies is one of the features of their designation as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).

Watching, and photographing, these fantastic creatures patrol the ponds and ditches is popular during the summer months but, with…

• The marvels of the day

Thanks to volunteer Graham Osborne for his report and photos from Sunday.

A brief view of the South Brooks from the Visitor Centre produced a distant red kite and a good number of Lapwings. I then met Rob at the Yurt where he showed me a merveille du jour moth that had been trapped overnight. it's name translates to 'marvel of the day'.

I caught up with Neil, and at the gate near West Mead he found a merlin…

• Recent sightings - the variable buzzard

Thanks to volunteer Phil for his report and photos.

Sitting in Nettley’s Hide eating lunch I became aware of a small group of people with scopes in the hide discussing a distant raptor perched on a post. I was overhearing comments about a back turned towards the scope but occasionally barring could be seen across the breast. Sparrowhawk and goshawk were mentioned and rejected although my first thought about a barred breast…

• Cattle egrets and curlew sandpipers -wildlife highlights from the weekend

Volunteer Graham Osborne recounts the wildlife highlights from a visit over the weekend - thanks Graham for your report and wonderful photos!

After three Sundays off I returned to hides & trails duties at Pulborough Brooks yesterday.

The morning started nicely with views of four cattle egrets on the South Brooks from the Visitor Centre where I was joined by Neil and some visitors. Scanning Upperton’s Field revealed…

• Recent sightings - dragonflies incoming!

Thanks to volunteer Phil for his report, photos and reflections on the new dragonfly species arriving at Pulborough Brooks...

I am currently sitting at my computer sheltering from the hot weather as the UK bakes in another heatwave and the land is feeling the effects of a drought. It is becoming easier to link the greater prevalence of events like this to a changing climate. However, while these somewhat worrying heatwaves…

• Swallows and spiders - wildlife sightings from Sunday

With thanks to volunteer Graham for his report and photos.

It was a breezy day at Pulborough Brooks on Sunday, mostly dry, with just a few spots of very light rain for a short while. Bird-wise it was mostly fairly subdued, but there were reasonable numbers of the commoner butterflies about. However, dragonflies and damselflies were in extremely short supply, and I only saw three species all day (azure & blue-tailed damsels…

• An introduction to the wonderful world of moths...

I suspect that my first encounter with the wonderful world of Lepidoptera – butterflies & moths – might well have been a childhood reading of Eric Carle’s The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Since then I have always admired butterflies; the splendidly colourful peacock nectaring on the wildflowers and the glorious silver-washed fritillary gliding powerfully through a sunshine-dappled woodland glade.

Silver…

• High summer butterflies – hairstreaks and honeydew

Find out more about some of our special butterflies from Lydia's (our Visitor Experience Officer) blog...

It’s that time of the year, the sun is shining, and the butterflies are fluttering. Here at Pulborough Brooks we have recorded 33 out of the 60 butterfly species found in the UK. Our mosaic heathland, woodland, hedgerows and meadow habitats makes it a great home for some star species including 4 out of 5 species…

• Looking forward to a Big Wild Summer at Pulborough Brooks

The wildflowers are blooming, butterflies are fluttering over the meadows and dragonflies are darting over the ditches – Big Wild Summer has started at Pulborough Brooks! Summer is a fantastic time to explore the great outdoors and we’ve got some amazing wildlife here in West Sussex.

Small copper butterfly by Graham Osborne

Wonderful wildflowers

Visitors can follow our ‘wonderful wildflowers trail’ and find…

• Experience wildlife at night this summer

Find out where to see some great night-time wildlife with the RSPB this summer
  • Cafe re-opening on Friday 8 July

I'm delighted to report that the cafe refurbishment is on schedule and we'll be re-opening on Friday (8 July). Our cafe team are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Pop in for a breakfast bap, light lunch or a slice of cake. We'll also be serving cream teas - enjoy scones, jam and cream whilst sitting on the tea terrace admiring one of the loveliest views in West Sussex!

Cafe and tea terrace open 10 -…