Recent Sightings

At Berry Fen there has been a Glossy Ibis and Black-winged stilt see quite regularly from mid-July until now. The stilt is thought to be an escape from captivity (it has a ring), but is nevertheless, a beautiful bird. A few common and green sandpipers have been seen here also with lots of Little Egrets. On the evening of 24th July a spotted crake was calling, it sounds like a dripping tap, but the sound carries for a kilometer! At Ouse Fen, bitterns have had a very good season, with six birds booming in May. Young bitterns can be seen flying over the reedbeds in search of new feeding sites. Dragonflies are abundant and hobbies can be seen speeding after them. There are now around 1000 post-breeding lapwings over the north end of Ouse Fen, and the can be seen flying over the area too. An otter was seen at the end of June and at Needingworth Lakes one of our lucky volunteers saw an otter cross the road last week as she was cycling along the main road into the quarry. It's a good time of year, anything can turn up, so get out now, and surprise yourself! Barry O' Dowd(Ouse Fen Warden)
  • I am a new group member. I have just returned to live in the UK after a ten year spell abroad. I was very interested to visit the reserve to see how things have progressed in that time. I was not disappointed, and truly excited about the prospects for this reserve in the coming years. Today, Saturday 25th Oct, my wife and I started out early and walked the Reedbed Trail. We were fortunate enough to see many bird species, and gathered quite a respectable list. The highlights were Bittern, seen twice flying above the reeds and visible for over a minute. Also, female Marsh Harrier, Kingfisher, a pair of Stonechats and several reed buntings. Yellowhammer and skylark above the fields. Green and spotted woodpecker. Numerous small flocks of long-tailed tits and Goldcrests along the tree-lined walkways. Grey and pied wagtail down by the river crossing.

We look forward to exploring the reserve in all of its seasons. We are interested to know of the plans to develop the reserve over the coming years. We would like to become involved in the project and assist in any way that we can.

Thanks - and Good Luck for the future.

• Hi Stephen

Was that you two walking on the guided bus footpath between St Ives and Swavesey at around 3pm?  I was skating by, and passed a couple who were both carrying binoculars....

Terry

• No ... we parked at the RSPB Reserve car park in Needingworth, and walked in through the reserve footpaths :-)

• Hi Stephen, I am very pleased to see how much you enjoyed your visit, the reedbeds are really developing well and are full of birds and other wildlife. It would be great if you joined our volunteer team, we have regular work parties twice a month and other ad hoc events. This also gives you access on task to parts of the reserve you can not normally see. If you contact me on barry.odowd@rspb.org.uk I will send you the registration forms. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Barry (Warden)

• Hi Stephen, You did reply to me but I seem to have lost your email. Please send me your contact details again to barry.odowd@rspb.org.uk

Sorry about that, Barry

• Seen today (4 May 2015): most notably 2 buzzards, 3 common tern, hobby, 6 lesser black-backed gulls, whitethroat, ~30 greylags with at least 15 chicks, ~10 lapwings, ~10 great crested grebe, reed bunting, cormorant, 2 pochard, several Canada geese. Also several Cetti's heard and lots of small birds hiding in the trees! Also a couple of hawker dragonflies and a few damselflies. Orange tip, peacock, tortoiseshell and green-veined white butterflies