Rose-Ringed Parakeet - Higham's Park, London

I know some people can't stand them as 'alien' invaders but I can't help admiring the way these bright tropical creatures have adapted to the British environment. I was visiting my son in London a couple of weeks ago and we took our granddaughter to the local park for a Sunday stroll. Suddenly from the trees we heard an extraordinary call and this drew attention to numerous parakeets that were feeding on acorns, so well-camouflaged against the oak leaves. It struck me that their only competition in London for that particular food source would be that other 'alien' invader the Grey Squirrel.

• Lovely series of photos John,  as you say, they are not everybody's favourite bird but not seeing them in our area of Cheshire, I do love to see them when I visit the London Parks having that rather bright tropical look !      

john_l_uk said:
    It struck me that their only competition in London for that particular food source would be that other 'alien' invader the Grey Squirrel.

think the Jays may given them a run for their money when it comes to acorns !    

• Great to see the Parakeets John, I know they aren't that popular but to me they are still birds aren't they? , and like the grey squirrels can't help being where they are.  

• Thanks Hazel and Gaynor - they are more widespread than i thought in London. we went to the 'Revolution' exhibition at the V&A and on the way back saw one calling from an aerial high over one of the main roads in Kensington.

• We were in London for a long weekend back in January this year and stayed in a hotel just on the edge of Hyde Park so for the first time ever we properly explored the park and I was amazed by how many of these guys were there, happily flying about in the midst of a British winter (ok was mild but still) and seemingly feeding well and living side by side with the normal species you would expect to see in a winter urban setting.- Great pics though John

• There are now RNP's recorded in every borough in London and they're spreading to towns and cities farther afield.

So far, we have no evidence of conflict with other species and indeed, they are as susceptible to predation by peregrines as any other similar sized bird. They are now as much part of the London landscape as black cabs, grey squirrels and the London Eye!

I'm now waiting for hoopoes to become established. It must surely be just a matter of time?

• Thanks for your comments Nicky and Tim. Sorry about the delay in getting back!

That's a great response Tim - I love seeing these exotic species thriving and like you would love to see Hoopoes over here. If Cetti's can find a niche surely Hoopoe's could, with their long-billed ability to probe underground for larvae to sustain them in the lean winter months, have a much easier time adapting.