Another Saturday another walk down the wetlands

And very enjoyable too, after a damp start. As soon as the rain stopped at 9:45 the birds started singing. I've got back the knack of telling the Reed Warbler from the Sedge Warbler song and it's so welcome listening to them. Sedge Warblers are by far the easier to see, enjoying display flights and perching on conspicuous branches. Lovely to see a pair of Great Crested Grebes near the first screens. 

Cuckoos could be heard calling and a pair flew along the coast path. A Grey Heron was hunting down the pontoon.

Cetti's Warblers were singing from open perches! We saw at least three and heard plenty more. This one was on the sea side of the path along the coast.

I love the colouring of Common Whitethroats and never tire of seeing them. They are plentiful on the reserve. This one was in the bushes on the sea side of the path.

We haven't seen Stonechats on the reserve recently, not their time of year but spotted a pair today. They were a way off but looking at the pictures the female has only one leg. I have other photos which confirm this. She must have had a lucky escape.

Last but not least we heard a Grasshopper Warbler reeling while walking along the coast path. It can be difficult to tell with the electric wires buzzing in the moist atmosphere. We followed our ears and sure enough came across the bird quite a way off. The song is high pitched and carries well. The Cetti's and Reed Warblers are easier to hear on the video. The wind is even easier although there wasn't any!! You can hear the Grasshopper Warbler if you strain your ears enough. 

We would have loved to stay longer but our time had run out. Always a great start to the weekend.