Goldcliff Lagoons and Red House Barn hides

Have visited the hides several times over the last few weeks, both on my own and with my mate Mark, and have met some smashing people whilst there.

Though not a total noobie with bird ID, I still have much to learn, and it's a pleasure to have met some people who have been extremely helpful in pointing out what would be considered by some as the more common and much seen species etc. A gentleman by the name of Mike - at the hide on the sea wall today with his wife, was especially helpful. Thank you to you all!

Anyway, I wrote a small blog on what I managed to see over the course of a few days. Not that many species, but exciting enough for me! Please feel free to have a read and by all means leave a comment.

http://www.reflectingme.com/blog/2016/4/a-twitchers-treasure---goldcliff-lagoons Hope you enjoy!

John www.reflectingme.com
  • Hi John, I've just read your very comprehensive blog outlining the Goldcliff section of Newport Wetlands - it was very interesting hearing your perspective on this and the enjoyment you've got out of this 'hidden treasure' because, to be frank, it is well hidden and not widely advertised (perhaps deliberately?)  I was told that at some point the hide by the sea wall was burnt out, hence the corrugated metal sheeting at the base of each hide preventing fires being lit there, so perhaps it's not not publicised to prevent vandalism, perhaps to keep it undisturbed.

I think the guy you met by the name of Mike was probably Mike Poynton, who often contributes to GOS and the Gwent Birders Facebook page.

Red House Barn Hide is certainly the best constructed hide in the Wetlands but stuck in the middle of a field by Red House Barn it is not well situated. If only it was closer to the lagoons!

Definitely agree with you getting one of those digiscoping brackets, i've seen some really excellent photos taken of distant subjects that would be otherwise impossible.

Good luck and thanks for posting!