Migrants and Calm Weather

It was lovely at Uskmouth this morning. There was very little breeze and the light was exceptional. I like to post if I have an images that may be of interest. I was impressed with John's images of Cetti's Warbler as they rarely stay still long enough to photograph well. Where Perry Lane meets the main reserve I was lucky enough to watch one sing from a relatively open perch.

Turning right before the pontoon bridge to watch a Sedge Warbler on its favourite perch. So nice to see them back again, and hear them.

Sandra noticed a Marsh Harrier as I was videoing the Sedge Warbler. A quick 180 and I managed to capture a short video. This is hand held at high magnification and without a tripod this is the steadiest I can manage.

The reedbeds and sea were ever so calm. Photo evidence below.

Coming back to the lighthouse it's always worth looking down at the high tide line. That's where the Linnets and Wheatears may be seen. The Wheatears actually flew on along the rocks and up onto the path.

The Bittern continues to boom regularly. Blackcaps and Willow Warblers are singing round the site. Still looking forward to Whitethroat and Reed Warblers. The latter were heard but not seen.

• Well done Colin. So glad you caught that Cetti's and great video of the Marsh Harrier. Seems to be the same female that I saw yesterday - the first for months. i've come to the conclusion that hand-held is the way to go for following a flying bird - much more flexible and fluid than using a tripod and somehow the fact that the subject is moving means that camera shake doesn't show up like it would with a static subject

Regarding the warblers I heard a Groppler from the coastal path on Thursday, half way between the hide and Saltmarsh Lane, although I didn't see it. I also heard a Lesser Whitethroat down in Goldcliff just by the gate.

• I edited the Marsh Harrier video in Movieplus before putting it on YouTube. That seems to have resulted in some ghosting which isn't evident in the straight from the camera Sedge Warbler video. We listened out for the Grasshopper Warbler with no success. Listening out for the new arrivals is a joy.

• Great to see the Cetti's Warbler again, a good shot of the also Wheatear.   Loved the video of the Marsh Harrier, well done.

Lot to learn