Bittern Booming, Cetti's display and early migrants arriving.

Perry Lane is the jewel in the crown of the main reserve although missed by many visitors lured directly into the Visitor's Centre. Even if the roadbeds are apparently devoid of life this hedgerow can be relied upon to be full of the common Finches, Tits, Dunnock and more often heard than seen the Cetti's Warbler. in season also a great place for Chiffchaff, Whitethroat and lesser Whitethroat.

Walking along the other morning I noticed a kerfuffle as two Cetti's were chasing each other around and one, obviously agitated, spent a couple of minutes in the same spot giving me a chance to grab a couple of photos and some video.

At the top of the lane I spotted this handsome Bullfinch flying up to feed off the bramble above and hovering like a Humming Bird.

A very common bird in the hedgerow is the Dunnock

Probably the most frequent sighting was the Wren as they were advertising their presence by strong  vocalisation, quite often from prominent positions.

Just over the sea-wall there were a number of Linnets in a tree, some then flew down onto the rocks.

Feeding by the side of the path were a few Redpoll

Well exciting times in Uskmouth as we've got a resident Bittern 'booming' away. Again I was hoping to see it and get a video for you but so far it has been elusive and all I've got is a sound recording which at least features the sound for recognition purposes. I'd never heard one before so if you've also not heard one this is what to listen out for,

It's been changeable over the last week or two so some days it's been amazing for photography and other days less so, The lagoons haven't been so busy but the other morning there was a nice group of Pochard near the floating bridge, although they always move away I managed to get some reasonable shots.

Pochard usually hang around with that other common diving duck the Tufty and there was a pair with the Pochard, here's the male of both species.

I believe that these are two colour variations of the female Pochard but happy to be corrected if this isn't the case. 

Tufted ducks are rarely seen alone!

Mallard

A Gadwall's subtle beauty

The weather was atrocious when I took these photos of Teal so not as bright asI would have liked.

The only other shot from the lagoons was this Heron with one of a pair of Little Egrets in the background.

Waiting in the hide and hoping to see the Bittern I was there for a couple of hours during which time I was rewarded by seeing quite a few visitors!

My first Blackcap of the year.

Another as I left the copse. By this time the sun was shining.

OK it's not the best but lot's of these chaps about. A tiny Goldcrest.

This new arrival on the brambles in front of the hide.

As I was about to leave I met a guy at the bottom of Perry Lane who said that he'd been down to Red House Barn and seen the Ibis and that the hedgerows were full of Willow Warblers. I went down there and once again failed to spot the Ibis but he was right about the W.W.s

Of course we rarely see W.W.s without the company of Chiffchaffs

That's about it for this little round-up.