A walk from Salt Marsh Lane

Had a walk from the direction of Salt Marsh Lane today and here are a few 'record shots' of my visit. one or two are of a reasonable quality but the majority were at the extent of my zoom so not so sharp. 

Walking down the lane there were a few hedgerows birds but none were obliging enough to come out of the foliage apart from this distant Chaffinch.

At the top of the lane by the sea-wall I was surprised to see some Gorse in full bloom. 

On to the coastal path and in front of me a high Spring tide.

Rounding the bend leading to the hide I took this of the headland with a bout emerging from the mouth of the Usk.

I went into the hide itself but once again a very limited range of ducks. A lone Tufty and some Mallard.

I also saw this Blackbird and couldn't resist a photo.

Whilst in the hide I was joined by Chris the NRW warden who spotted a large flock of sea-birds down on the estuary looking like a snowstorm in the sunshine. too far away to determine the species

We were then joined by Nick and Malcolm who are RSPB volunteers. Malcolm is a bird recorder and he told me he had counted 273 Wigeon down by the lighthouse. At that point Chris saw a guy down on the coastal path with a dog off its lead and he took of to challenge him. He didn't catch up with the guy but said that he had let the dog loose on the foreshore. Consequently there were no Wigeon left by the lighthouse, although there were half a dozen further up the coast.

On the seedbed side of the path there was a pair of Stonechat.

I went down to the visitors' centre for a fortifying cuppa before heading back. W we had met wetlands regular Gary and he said that he'd seen Redpoll by the copse and Malcom also confirmed that he'd seen them so decided to return that way. on the way past the feeding stations I saw this Reed Bunting.

and another Chaffinch over on Perry Lane.

In the trees by Perry Lane a lone Magpie.

Anyway to cut a long story short there were no Redpoll there when I got up to the copse although down in the fields there was a flock of Fieldfare.

Down on the mudflats there were quite a few Shelduck feeding on something that they were able to sift out of the mud.

My final shot is one of the "reens" or drainage ditches originally cut by the Cistercian monks from Tintern Abbey. Empty at the moment but I have seen Swans and Mallard in there during the year.

• Lovely thread John, the views are great and your walk produced a  number of good birds, stonechat I have never seen close up, though believe I have heard them, and the lovely blackbird looked really smart.  We used to see loads of shellduck on the beach, but had no camera then, might get out more when the weather warms up and get some practice in.

Lot to learn

• Thanks Gaynor, the female Stonechat and the Blackbird were my favourites. Do you still see the Shelduck on your beach and could you remind me what stretch of coast you are close to?.

• Great selection of photos and species John, always love the Stonechats as they are such beauties.  Nice to get a feel for the area too and it looks like you had blue sky and sunshine as we did, certainly makes a nice change to walk round in pleasant conditions rather than this persistent rain and wind of late.  The gorse is really lovely with its bright yellow flowers.    The high tides are a good time to watch the seabirds but I was reminded of the dangers today when I read in a sightings log that 6 sheep which had been grazing on the marshland had drowned yesterday when the king tide came in ;       very sad to read as the birdwatchers had seen them through their scope trying to swim to safety :( 

Regards, Hazel 

• Thank you Hazel. you're absolutely spot on about what a difference the sunshine makes. Your story about the sheep reminds me of an embarrassing incident last year when I saw a skeleton down among the rocks on the foreshore. From the coastal path I could see a spine and rib cage which looked human and I called the police. One of them was a former pupil as it happened! Anyway an officer climbed down and it turned out that it was a sheep! Honestly from the angle above it deceived both me and the first officers on the scene but I'd think twice before calling again. The fact that there was a real body found on the foreshore last year had obviously made me open to the possibility that it might be one. I was embarrassed but relieved that it wasn't human as you can imagine.

• I'm on Anglesey John so have plenty of coast to visit, usually we are able to get out of the wind by visiting one side or the other, but it doesn't help with the rain!

Hazy that was horrible about the sheep getting caught out by the tide, with the thick fleece they stood no chance.

Lot to learn

• Thanks for the update Gaynor! I've only been to Anglesey once but I was impressed. We went to Plas Newydd. Guessing that you get loads of interesting migrants as most islands do - plus red squirrels!!