"There's nothing about"

Amidst all the foul weather we've been having lately there have been a few of nice days and on a couple of them I've taken the opportunity to visit the Wetlands.The comment I've heard most regularly from casual visitors is "There's nothing about" and whilst I agree that waterfowl numbers seem down compared to last year on the last visit I saw Tufted Ducks, a Pochard and the ubiquitous Mallards sheltering in the lee of the reeds  (as seen from the hide).When I looked back over the photos I've taken since my last post I realised that tI've actually seen a lot! Just thought I'd share a few photos here.

The perception that we've seen very little it's just relative to the late Spring and Summer when the place is bursting with life, in reality I've been very lucky to see quite a few species, even if the majority are what many would call "common" species (beautiful nonetheless!)  Most of the hedgerow birds were photographed in Perry Lane.

Male Bullfinch 

Female Chaffinch

Goldfinch

Greenfinch

Moving towards the copse one of a flock of Blue Tits feeding.

Blue Tit on Rose Bay Willow Herb

Great Tit

Moving into the copse Siskins in the canopy feeding on Alder seeds.

Siskins

Whilst photographing the Siskins I also saw this Treecreeper and took a quick (record) shot!

Treecreeper 

From the same spot in the copse I also saw this little Goldcrest busily scouring the branches for insect eggs.

Goldcrest

Walking along the coastal path and indeed all over the reserve I have noticed pairs of Stonechats.

Just off the coastal path in the trees beneath I saw a flock of Meadow Pipits.

Meadow Pippit

Seen in the distance further down the path I saw a raptor sitting on a fence post - too far away for a decent shot!

Sparrow hawk 

Even further away I saw this Buzzard down on a dead tree.

Common Buzzard

Finally after not seeing one for some time I caught a quick glimpse of this Marsh Harrier and managed a quick "reaction shot" as it flew away.

Marsh Harrier

Looking dow towards the estuary I saw this flock wheeling and turning, guessing they're Dunlin judging by the light colour which shows in the second photo.

Dunlin

As in my last post there were still Wigeon whistling away down on the river but no decent photos and there are still numerous Curlews,

Finally to the read beds themselves. The most common species to see is still the Reed Bunting .

Reed Bunting

And it's reassuring to catch a glimpse of our most charismatic species - the Bearded Tit! Always difficult to see amongst the reeds as their camouflage is so well adapted.

A female is circled but can you see the male below? 

Female Bearded Tit

In addition to the birds I managed to capture I have also seen Wren, Cetti's, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Mute Swan, Canada Geese, Gadwall, Kestrel, Water Rail, Carrion Crow, Rook, Cormorant, Little Grebe, Coot, Moorhen, Grey Heron and flock of what may have been Linnets but can't confirm.