Pleasant weather walk

After battling through winds and avoiding the rain over the past few weeks it seemed a much more pleasant prospect to go for a walk down the wetlands today. There was nothing much around on the water on in the air and I didn't notice any winter thrushes but in the trees there was life aplenty. Along the back of R5 there is a sheltered path alongside the some trees. We sighted a bird flitting in and out of the foliage. Goldcrest? No bigger movements. Chiffchaff.. Yes.

Let's hope it makes it through the next few weeks and gets the best nesting spot. Looking up and in the Alder were Siskins and a couple of Lesser Redpoll. Only managed to snap the Siskin. 

Coming back round between R6 and R7, I bemoaned that we hadn't seen anything in this bit for years. Lo and behold a pair of long tailed birds skimmed across the top of the reeds and landed deep down a few metres away. We knew what they were straight away and waited for them to rise up the reeds.

They don't stay long though. Once at the top they get their bearings and off they go. 

No more photos but more sightings down by the water's edge and Alders by the hide. All the small birds possible seemed to be mixed together. I saw a Cetti's Warbler in the base of the reeds; a Goldcrest fidgeting in a bamble; a flock of Goldfinches mixed with Siskins and more Lesser Redpolls. Don't forget the Long tailed, Blues and Great Tits. Once into the wood I was thinking what other woodland birds might be around; keep your eyes on the tree trunks and yes, there is a Treecreeper. Try to get a photo but no; up and around and off to the next tree it went. Wrens were everywhere and Bullfinches were heard calling on a number of occasions but we just couldn't spot them. 

That was the most enjoyable couple of hours. Hope you get the weather right and have just as pleasant a time as us..

• Great record of what you saw Colin and pleased the weather was better for you in Newport to get out on a rewarding nature walk.  No such luck here with very heavy rain much of the day although it did ease for a few hours this afternoon;   you certainly saw some fantastic species including the Beardie, Cetti's and Siskins along with so many other smaller birds.  Great set of photos.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Fabulous pics & sightings Colin, thanks for sharing with us housebound souls although was sunny here for several hours but so muddy underfoot ... now more gales + weather warnings for prolonged rain, so it's be thankful for the garden birds time again!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Sorry it's taken so long to respond Colin - I was checking the site fairly regularly to find it  inactive but took my eye of it and missed your post. Possibly because for a couple weeks i had  a horrible flu virus and i've only just started getting active again. What a fabulous report! Since i've been feeling better I've only been down a couple of times and completely agree with you about the dearth of life on the lagoons. As you say most of the activity is in the trees. I was lucky enough to see a lot  of the birds you've seen but I've never seen a Lesser Redpoll and the Chiffchaff was a great spot.. Hopefully I'll see a Redpoll before too long.

• Thanks for the replies, they are all appreciated. I forgot to reply earlier. It was only when I got the notification of John's reply that I remembered I hadn't thanked the previous replyees. Hopefully the weather has been better to get out and enjoy the countryside.

Sorry you haven't been well John. Look forward to your sightings now you're on the mend. 

We had a visit to the wetlands yesterday. There was very little breeze and the sun was shining weakly for most of the time we were there. 9:30 to 11:30 as usual. The lagoons were deader than ever. One family of Mute Swans, a couple of Mallard and the odd Coot was all we could find.

Other sightings; a quick view of a male Bullfinch around Perry Lane, a Weasel on the track around the back of R5. A Greater Spotted Woodpecker flying over and best of all 5 Bearded Tits in R7. Managed a photo of a female but had good views of 3 males and 2 females. 

• Hi Colin, got to agree about the weird absence of waterfowl on the lagoons, just a few Gadwall in addition to the Swans, Mallards and Coots although lots of Wigeon down on the foreshore whistling away! Maybe the Otters are putting them off? Saw a few Stonechats around, especially in the area where the Groppler usually turns up. I'm delighted that you saw the flock of Beardies, when you don't see them you start to think the bad weather may have got to them but if you saw five after all of the wind and rain they'll survive anything! Cracking shot by the way, well done!