Blue Sky and sun with the odd sighting.

With the prospect of clear skies we decided to visit the wetlands on Saturday and Sunday. So often I take my camera but fail to take a single photograph. I took a few this weekend to have something to put on the post.
Saturday morning was much breezier than Sunday with flocks of hundreds of Wood Pigeons heading north or north west against the wind. Surprisingly there were very few around on Sunday when the wind was much lighter. Very few small birds to be seen in the breeze but after leaving the hide and going through the wood we saw a Marsh Harrier and a little further on a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Sunday morning started off well with two male and a female Bullfinch in Perry Lane. Redwings also feeding in the tops of the trees. There were many more small birds flitting around and the Cetti Warblers were in song around the site. At the end of the pontoon we caught a quick view of a Water Rail flying into the reeds.

On the water were many Mute Swans in family groups, with Wigeon and Gawall on reedbed R5. (Numbers taken from the Gwent Ornithological Society annual report. I think the map has been posted on here in the past. I can post it if it is of use to people)

Walking back on the narrow path between R4 and R5 we were lucky enough to almost miss a Grass Snake basking in the late morning warmth.

Also a Peacock butterfly along this path. 
It was so nice to get out into the fresh air and enjoy the bright skies and sometimes warm sun.

• Nice photos Colin, thanks for sharing. You were lucky to have some warmth today, up here it is bitterly cold and has been trying to snow!! Winter is here.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Great video of the marsh harrier, and unusual to see the grass snake too, well spotted.

Lot to learn

• Nice pictures and story Colin. We were there yesterday and it was bitterly cold and very windy. We were down at Goldcliff first but it was relatively quiet (birdwise), loads of Teal, Widgeon, Canada Goose and a lovely flock of about 30 Curlew. The windchill factor caused it to be extremely cold and we didn't stay too long.

I see there have been 2 Cattle Egrets in the field behind the visitor center today.

• Thanks for the post and keeping us in touch Colin! So lucky to see the Harrier - I haven't seen one since April. When i first saw your video i thought I was looking at a Hen Harrier, because of the way it moves, but guess you were in a position to see more identifying features. I have never seen a snake in the wild so astounded to see your photo! Saw the news about the Cattle Egrets on the G.O.S. website but I was in London this weekend so couldn't get down there.

• Thank you for the comments. It's always nice to know that the forum posts are being followed.

I didn't see the Cattle Egrets. In fact I have never knowingly seen them. I had a reasonable view of the Harrier through binnoculars and the video is compressed on youtube even if it is 1080. I'm sure I would have seen the ring tail if it had been a Hen Harrier. I wouldn't be able to tell Harriers apart from their flight although the wind would have been a factor or any flying on Saturday.