Catch up with Beardies, Gadwall, Wigeon, Fieldfare, Linnet and Red Admiral

I have only managed to get down to the wetlands twice in the last couple of weeks - once on a lovely sunny Saturday and then on this last windy, overcast Wednesday.

The conditions on the Saturday two weeks ago were perfect for photography and I managed to get a couple of Beardie shots and enough extra video to decide to complete my Beardie video for the British birds series. I also saw Wigeon, Gadwall, Linnet, Great, Blue and Long-Tailed Tits, Greenfinch, Goldfinch and an elusive Cetti's Warbler although it was too deep in foliage for a photo. With the weather conditions being so good it was possible to get some nice bright photos - here are a few - I won't label them individually because they are familiar species.

Oh and here's the promised Beardie video -

What a difference on Wednesday - it was  gloomy, overcast and windy when I arrived although to be fair it was around dawn - not a Beardie to be seen. However I did see the same finches and tits plus a couple of Dunnocks and a few Fieldfares. It brightened up later and i managed to snap a Stonechat, more Gadwall and down on the river gulls flying upstream - there have been reports of all kinds of exotic birds at Goldcliff Point including Great and Arctic Skua, a Black Guillemot, Common Scoter, Leaches Petrel, Gannets, Kittiwake, Great Northern Diver but on my random snaps all I managed was a Black-Backed Gull!

Just as I was leaving I saw this Red Admiral high in the Ivy at the bottom of Perry Lane.