Mandarin Ducks in the Forest

I went down to the Forest of Dean yesterday to have another search for Hawfinches or at the very least Crossbills. I've seen both there recently but no really good photos.  I didn't see either but I have finally sorted out the geography of the Crabtree Hill area, where in the past there have been regular sightings of Great Grey Shrike and Two-Barred Crossbills. Last year I went looking for Hawfinch at Drybrook Road Station because somebody on a Gloucester birder site said there are often large numbers down there so naturally I drove to Drybrook. No sign of a station. I asked a local and he said I've lived here for 50 years and I there's never been a station in the village! Well yesterday I drove to Brierley and spoke to a pensioner on a walk and he told me how to get there. I followed his directions and found it in the middle of the woos  but initially walked right past, because apart from a sign (which was facing the wrong way for me) it turns out that the famous Drybrook Road Station is just a clearing in the forest. No platforms, rails, buildings - nothing station-like about it. Two birders that I met down there pointed out in the sky above me two Buzzards mobbing a Goshawk. It was high above but I took a shot which shows the silhouettes. I realised that I has seen the Goshawk earlier and much closer and the buzzard was flying 50' from me at the top of the ridge. 

I saw plenty of finches and tits and a Goldcrest but still no Hawfinches so I decided to go down to Parkend. On the way I visited Cannop Ponds and was lucky enough to see three pairs of Mandarin Ducks down there, along with Tufties, Mallard, Swans, Canada Gees and Coots. Here are a few shots of the outstandingly beautiful Mandarins.

Apologies if that's too many but honestly I can't see enough of them!

After leaving Cannop I drove to Parkend and waited by the Yew trees near the Cricket ground for a while. This is the well known spot for seeing Hawfinches, as witnessed by a line of parked cars with lenses poking out of their open windows. but there was nothing doing and had to give it a miss. Always another day!