Another lovely week at Mersehead

Third week spent at Mersehead after a week each in May and October last year.  First week in September a lot quieter bird wise - particularly in comparison with October but still had a lovely week - it is such a peaceful and beautiful place.   Weather was extremely variable - from warm and sunny to very very wet - often within half an hour!   This meant some beautiful lighting conditions.   Despite this being a quiet time bird wise, still saw over 30 species on reserve, plus 4 species of butterflies (Small White; Green Veined White; Red Admiral; and Wall); and two Dragonflies.  Also got a quick glimpse of an otter when the river flooded, and got a good view of a roe deer.  Also met some lovely people - staff, volunteers and other visitors.

Here are a couple of photos - I will post more on Mersehead gallery - I hope you like them.

I think this is a Common Darter (male) - hoping for confirmation elsewhere on Forum.

Roe Deer (I think)

This is a lovely reserve - tranquil and beautiful - and with thousands of geese and wildfowl in the winter  - well worth a visit at any time of the year!

Maggy

• Hi Maggy,

Thank you for the photos, it's always great to hear about what people have seen on the reserve.  You are quite right, it was a little quieter in September than it is at the moment but I'm glad to hear you still saw a good variety of things!  Fantastic to get a glimpse of the otter too, a very special sight.

Thank you for your comments and we'll hope to see you again soon

Regards

Becky