LG Osprey GABFEST for November 2012

The 2012 Loch Garten season started with disappointments.  Then we lost the baby in traumatic circumstances. Then in October we lost the second of this year’s chicks, Alba.

So now in November we look forward to following the adventures of our one surviving tracked LG youngster, Caledonia.  She apparently left home to move to the city, where she has been exploring city life.  Will she become a city girl or will she eventually pack up and move on to Africa?  They say you can take the girl out of country, but you can’t take the country out of the girl.   Many hope she will stay in Spain.   We shall see. 

We will be following other tagged UK osprey as well as other birds and wildlife as interesting nests or stories become available.

Also during November we hope to have another Music Night and our third StreetWalk.

• I am confused (my usual state, right?) about Sunday?  Are these popular programs not on Sunday evening also?

• I actually started this new poster for the figures a few weeks ago before Alba's demise, and wasnt sure whether I should leave it or not, but I think she is one young Osprey that will never be forgotten for many reasons, her record migration is one, so I just left the poster as it is, hope it doesnt upset anyone.   

Have to say its no surprise to see that we have broken through the 30,000 posts barrier, quite an incredible feat I think.

• New router in place - yippee !!!  

Mary:  Thanks for the beautiful photo of the Red Kite.

B&B:  I am laughing so much about you eyeing up these Stags!  Don't think I'll be able to keep a straight face when Autumn Watch is on tonight LOL  

June:  I'm not really too bothered but if a choice I would prefer a Friday as X-Factor/Strictly on Saturday and Sunday.  

• Courtesy & Copyright of The Cornell Lab of Ornitholigy

B&B you may have seen this as I got it in an e.mail from Cornell Lab, I think there have been videos shown before on these birds, but not this one, even if it has been posted its amazing to watch, also the dedication by the people that go into the rainforest to get these films for us, when you see the equipment that goes with them, its all quite awe inspiring. It really is well worth a look, as these birds are incredible.     I know you posted a video before B&B but I think it was a different one from this.

• Mary, Your poster is lovely and much appreciated.  To my taste and sensibilities you made the right choice by including Alba.  It just wouldn't seem right to me without her.  Will be interesting to see what others think.

• Unknown said:

B&B - glad you liked the photo of the Red Kite, thought it was great, the videos on the BBC Website are interesting too.

These have been Caledonia's haunts for all these weeks, so far so good, not sure what Spain are like as to regards to hunters etc., havent read anything about them, all we can hope for is that she stays safe and comes back to LG in future years.    I thought Alba was the one that would follow in EJ's footsteps, how wrong was I.  

Chuckling at you being a roe and trotting off with NiteOwls Stag Ha Ha....    No need to go to Gretna I think, that Stag would be off with you in an instant.   Did you hear on Autumn Watch about the Roe deers sometimes going off when in season and having her way with another Stag, then comes back to her group and Stag.   Now doesnt that story sound familiar, EJ springs to mind LOL.

Wonder why you cannot stay logged on, that is strange as I said I have never ever logged out so dont have a problem.

Mary, I meant Doe a female deer, or a hind and some say Cow but did not want to cause a riot so used Doe

Yes EJ sounds familiar lol. The Meerkats do it and if found out there is trouble at mill and the females are exiled. Such wonderful charming animals and adore them:)

Now Autumn Watch,

Hope to be back later

• Just a hello and off to watch Autumn Watch.

MARY GK - Your interest in Red Kites - I take it from that you will be attending ARGATY with me in the near future and back for a cup of tea.

I think Autumn Watch has been exceptional this year but then I do love both Scottish Wildlife and The Scottish Coutryside and a member of SWT.

All you ladies seem very interested in these Stags - What a life maybe come back as a Stag one day.

• Mary - There is no resaon why we should not post with reference to or pictures of Alba and am sure all would be pleased. I am trying to make upan ALBA montage for my records but may need your assistance later to have a look.

The figures - We can compare Oct 2011 chat to Oct 2102 chat (We are talking too much - LOL). Thanks for this.

Just viewed the video and what an effort to capture these wonderful pictures.

• Unknown said:

Mary, Your poster is lovely and much appreciated.  To my taste and sensibilities you made the right choice by including Alba.  It just wouldn't seem right to me without her.  Will be interesting to see what otthers think.

Will keep it going now every month, as quite interested in statistics.    Cannot believe how much gabbing is done LOL....

• Mary, thanks for the Red Kite pic and the video, and your poster is lovely and Alba should be included on it.