Dotting is and crossing ts

For those who are interested in osprey 'ancestry'.............

With regard to Sue C's post: of 19th March 2011:

2003       EJ lost her nest to a more aggressive female,

The female in question was Green 7B. EJ had laid eggs and, having seen off EJ, Green 7B bought in nesting material which she placed over the eggs. Green 7B was unsuccessful in breeding that year - but in 2002 she had (as a 2 year old) arrived late at the Loch Garten nest. There had been many disputes between male ospreys at Garten that year as the male osprey (Olly) who had 'reigned supreme' for many years had not returned. Green 7B persuaded the conquering male to feed her, but did not produce eggs.

Green 7B also had an ancestral link to LG - she was Olly's grand-daughter.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Of course 2005 was the first year of Henry coming back very late and the year of the first egg kicking first by Red 8T and then Henry.

• I think he had either a ship, or more probably an oil rig, to thank for him getting back at all, albeit late. Truly skeletal.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Yes it was awful to see poor old Henry like that.

• CRinger said:

I think he had either a ship, or more probably an oil rig, to thank for him getting back at all, albeit late. Truly skeletal.

Wasn't 2005 a year when an awful lot of ospreys did not return? Maybe Henry was one of the survivors.

• If I remember right 2002 and 2005 were both years when there were severe easterlies just at the wrong time, blowing many Ospreys undoubtedly, way off course.

• CRinger said:

If I remember right 2002 and 2005 were both years when there were severe easterlies just at the wrong time, blowing many Ospreys undoubtedly, way off course.

Of course 2002 was the year dear Ollie did not come back leaving a bitter war of succession.

Do you have any ideas what eventually became of Olive after she flew away in 2003?

• I saw her twice after she disappeared from the LG logs. She was fishing for herself at a small loch east of the LG nest. My personal opinion is that if she had returned in 2004 then she would have returned to LG, so I think she perished either on her way south or on her way back. As she wasn't ringed it is possible she may have gone to another nest in 2004, but my instinct says not.

• CRinger said:

I saw her twice after she disappeared from the LG logs. She was fishing for herself at a small loch east of the LG nest. My personal opinion is that if she had returned in 2004 then she would have returned to LG, so I think she perished either on her way south or on her way back. As she wasn't ringed it is possible she may have gone to another nest in 2004, but my instinct says not.

Well some people think that the fierce female intruder in 2004 was Olive. Although I do not know if there is any hard evidence for that.

• I can knock that one into touch - no way. I knew Olive as well as a member of my own family. Olive didn't intrude in 2004 so far as I am aware.

• CRinger said:

I can knock that one into touch - no way. I knew Olive as well as a member of my own family. Olive didn't intrude in 2004 so far as I am aware.

Any thoughts on who the female intruder in 2004 was?  The one that kept attacking morning after morning and then broke the first egg?