LG Osprey GABFEST - November

October has come and gone and once again it is time to open a new thread for the Gabfest..

During October we did finish the movie WILD MOUNTAIN THYME, complete with musical score, as planned. We launched it into distribution with its own World Premier. The Stars and most of the Supporting Cast were there appropriately dressed for their glitzy walk down the red carpet. Unfortunately co-stars EJ & ODEN and family were unable to attend as they are all currently on migration to Africa.

Keith surprised us with some very interesting bird & wildlife reports direct from the Sahara Dessert and from his own equatorial Island in the Sun. His on-the-spot factual reports helped us to understand the dangers our osprey face once they complete their long hazardous journey.

Our first music night was a smashing success that left everyone eager for the second.

Then we ended the month with a wonderfully thoughtful and caring discussion of the benefits or possible harm of the tracking of osprey and other birds.

NOVEMBER will bring continued reports and DISCUSSIONS of our own “Special Three“, Tore, Bynack and Rothes who have arrived safely in Africa. We will be watching especially for news of Bynack who has been in an area that seems to be potentially dangerous. We will be watching also for updates of young Ozwold who was VERY reluctant to leave Bonnie Scotland, but is finally taking a stopover in Spain where Roy Dennis says he can safely winter. So, will Ozwold stay in Spain? or will he move south?, on his own unique time schedule? We will also be following the adventures and misadventures of other tagged osprey, including Einion who had us holding our breath while he made a huge circle over the Atlantic, his siblings from the Dyfi nest and others that may come to our attention.  All this and much more is discussed on the Gabfest.

We expect to have The Second Gabfest Music Night toward the end of the month. The theme is yet to be discussed & determined.

This is the Freedom Forum, where fun, fact and fantasy combine to make a very unique thread. So come on in and chat a while with us. Our fire is bright and the latch is always open.

• black jag, I think Autumn watch will be interesting and really hope they are successful in finding Einion and Dulas and it will be the best news ever.

I wish Roy Dennis would show and interest in Leri and Joe and he will mention Leri because no choice. It will be interesting to see what he says and no-ones fault and still think Leri is ok. He sewed the harness on both, so to me the after care should start.

• Yes B&B... I agree.. The BBC will concentrate on the good news story.. Enion & Dulas.. But as you say the after care should start. It would be interesting if the tracker was used to find Leri.. if nothing good came of it, it would at least show the world how difficult it is for Ospreys to survive, not only the migration but also life in Africa..

All for one and one for all.

• Sunshine and all I am up too late but have done some work at home so I can have a lie in until 07:30 and I am looking forward to watching Autumn watch.

Night night all

"ON THE FENCE"  and looking forward to the "CARING" Roy Dennis as I know he as done a brilliant job of increasing the Osprey population and look forward to see if any satelite birds are identified.

• Black Jag, In my closet I have hundreds , yes I'm sure thousands of images in photos & videos.  However I can't even transfer a link correctly let alone photos or videos.  There is excellent  info on line.  Just give me some time to find it & I will connect you - yes CONNECT, I promise.

• June It looks like a wonderful strip of land.. perfect for birds.. there is a similar if smaller thing here... SUNSHINE Spurn point... a haven for migrating birds.

Look forward to a link or two.. :-)

• black jag, no matter what Tore the "level headed" LADY and Bynack "SCREEMER" So happy they are both doing well.

I am looking forward to Autumn Watch and will be brilliant if they find Einion and Dulas and  we never know Tore and Bynack.

I have to say that Frederic as gone so far out of his way to try and find Leri. The wonderful man if putting a wet suit on in the red hot temperatures and going into the water.

To me that is dedication and Frederic does not need to do it. Wonderful man. Tim from Rutland and Ems from Dyfi have a very good friend.

• B&B... I don't believe for one second Roy Denis has anything but the good of Ospreys in his mind. He must firmly believe that the backpacks are safe or he would not have fitted them..

Looking at the history, Roy and his work and dedication is one of the reasons we today can follow "our" birds.

I do believe he's a good guy, with the welfare of the birds upper most in his heart.

• Black Jag just google Outer Banks Lighthouse pictures.  See pictures of five active lighthouses, loved by many.  Read how they moved the tallest lighthouse on the atlantic coast, Cape Hatteras Light, one half mile.to preserve it from being swallowd by the Atlantic Ocean.  I'll look some more

• Amazing images June... as you said before, learning so much from a bird related thread.. lol

• I enjoyed the birds when we went there, but I'm afriad they were not high on my list of interests.  There was always the usual run of shore birds of varying sizes, from the large gulls that loved to swoop in and catch tossed up bread pieces to the little ones that advanced & retreated with the tiny  inch high waves coming & going and several sizes of birds in between.  On ferry rides to Ocracoke we saw pelicans, the last time we were there we watched pelicans diving for food in the surf as we packed for our return trip home.

I few weeks ago I related on here a tale about the only bird reserve I am aware of.  How the guy went into a covered walkway and immediately re-emerged with blood streaming down his back & shoulders from mosquito bites.  Never did see any birds there.