The Osprey Chat Thread for September 2011

In response to the demand for an osprey chat thread I am now making one for September 2011.  I guess there will be quite a bit to chat about given the success of the extension thread.

• Hazel b said:

TIGER You said that Rutland Water had a higher success rate of the young returning Are there any thoughts/evidence as to why this should be?

Well some people thought that the reason for the high return rate was because they wintered in Spain. However in the last 24 hours AW has sort of blown that theory out of the water. Myself I think that it is just good genes. However even good genes have their own problem in that a lot of the Rutland birds are now related.

[/quote]I know from his book that Roy Dennis suspects that having Norwegian Osprey genes many British Ospreys have a propensity to migrate in a South Westerly direction. From Scotland, Wales or even the Lake District this would put them in the Bay of Biscay & possibly even missing Spain. From Rutland this puts them safely in France. Any thoughts?

• ChloeB said:

Scylla do you still have your old link to my site? If so, please post the url. Might give me some idea as to why it didn't work.

Hi ChloeB - here's the url of the old link I had to your site http://www.imagicat.com/LGstatsindex.html

Thank you for posting the new link - works great :)

• Vespa  I know it is only a sample of two but  both AW and  9 (98)  seemed to have headed off in a SE direction. If you look back at the origninally tracked birds two of them did  sort of miss Spain but in different ways.

I think we will know a lot more about this in a few months from now where all these birds end up.

Mind you 9 (98) problem has not been migration but in an inability to pull females!  3 (97) has been rather good at that. It is a pity that 3 (97) is not being tracked himself although his grandkids are.

• Hazel b said:

I think if people want to folow the fortunes of Pot Plant Owl then the best place to do it it is on the thread that Graham originally started on the subject. It is here.

Thank you for posting this link Tiger.  Sorry!  I didn't realise there was a separate thread - otherwise I would have posted my thanks to Graham there :o

• hello everyone.. I'm new to this and have been reading posts with intrest,

that is a good point about the genes in our birds.. hasn't had an effect on Bynack though..

All for one and one for all.

• Ladybird   It is a complicated story!  :)

• Unknown said:

hello everyone.. I'm new to this and have been reading posts with intrest,

that is a good point about the genes in our birds.. hasn't had an effect on Bynack though..

Oh welcome to the discussion. Do you mean that Bynack sort of took the "wrong" route?

• Hi Tiger,

is there a "right" route?

Bynack has taken a different route, well, a different route to that of the tracked birds.. who knows which direction his parents choose to migrate...

All for one and one for all.

• black jaguar   Well I think the right route is the one that  leads to a happy and successful life.  Of the birds that were translocated to Rutland quite a number were tracked.  They tended to go in a variety of directions. The ones to survive were the ones to find a safe route.

But a safe route is not the end of the story. They then have to survive a long sabbathical in Africa.

• Ah thanks for that LadyBird, yes that is definitely an old link :)