Tracking Loch Garten Ospreys : July 2011- May 2012

I offered yesterday to start a new Topic once Bynack had fledged, but as we now have the updated Satellite Tracking page, and biography pages for Tore and Bynack, and there are some tracking results for Tore on Google Earth, I’ve gone ahead with it.

A brief introduction to the ospreys we’re tracking – first, the class of 2011.

Torelink to her Biography

Tore is the elder of this year’s juveniles, her ring is blue/white 48. She fledged on Tuesday 12th July aged 54 days, and has started to do a little exploring.   

Bynack link to his Biography

Tore’s younger brother, ring blue/white 47. Bynack is aged 53 days today and has yet to fledge.

Edit: He has fledged, at 10.18 am today 16/7. 

Rothes link to her Biography

Rothes is the eldest of EJ and Odin’s offspring, hatched at Loch Garten in 2009. Her ring is white/black PJ. She migrated as a juvenile to Guinea-Bissau, and spent her formative months on the small island of Unhocomozinho, in the Bijagos Archipelago. Now a sub-adult, she has travelled north to Europe for the first time this summer and is currently in the Gironde estuary in SW France, where she also spent 6 weeks on her way south in 2009. So far, she has not returned to the UK.

Rothes' earlier travels were followed in this thread, now closed.  

• Thank you JSB for the additional information.  Dr Jones may well be retired by now anyway, and possibly returned to the UK.  Our Rothes clearly has extravagant taste!  It is good to know she is well and happy in her surroundings, and more importantly, safe.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Jsb

Thanks for the updates on Rothes – glad to hear you have put the LPO Charente-Maritime in touch with Richard T.

After the time Rothes has spent on the Gironde this summer, I really think that (touch wood) this will become his/her regular stopover on migration, in the same way that the River Adour is for Beatrice.

I’ve done some digging too, and discovered there is a bird reserve on the banks of the Gironde, just north of the Blaye nuclear power station, called Terres d’Oiseaux – this is their website. Rothes has been visiting this area quite a bit lately, though I haven’t seen any osprey sightings there on Faune-Aquitaine, which covers the area. I’ll also send details of this to Richard; I’ve seen news reports that they have hosted meetings on migration studies, and they also offer activities for local schools, so they could also be a useful contact for him.          

• GE has been updated.

Bynack evidently having a break:

Tore still exploring - looks like confirmation that the sighting yesterday was her

EDIT - and Rothes back at the fish farm after her day out a bit further south on Tuesday. Not going to attempt to disentangle her points on GE!

• Thanks everyone for your posts and pictures of where the Ospreys are, this is new to me and learning fast. Rachel I do not blame you not attempting to disentangle Rothes's points.  I struggle with no points :)

• Just a closer view of the Tore probable sighting. Another case where a photo would be the only way of 100% confirmation. Maybe the bird-watchers do not all realise that some osprey are fitted with antenna. Which is another way of spotting them, as well as the ring. The only osprey I have seen in the wild, was a black silhouette, it was only when it was directly overhead that I saw the underparts and the fish it was carrying. Rings cannot easliy be seen as we know with the legs and talons tucked up out of sight. The point in the middle of the picture, is the second one in the list for 1st Sept, on GE.

I think the sighting has the confidence to include in my stats.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• Just a bit of fun, so here's my forecast for Bynack. Logging his flight plan, taking into account that he is near the source of some major french rivers. Vittel is nearby.

I have taken La Saone, which runs into the Rhone, maybe these rivers are too big and fast to fish, but they have plenty of tributaries.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• No more word yet on our Tores and Bynack or have I missed it?

• All day I have been worried about Tore not moving since the 1st where as Bynack has GE point marked for the 2nd.

Hope there is a update this evening and both have moved south a little bit.

A very old Shropshire Lad.

• New update on the blog.

TRACKING LATEST:

Rothes: no change – still near Bordeaux. (latest point 6pm 4th Sunday).

Tore: no change still west of Plymouth. (latest point 5am 5th Monday).

Bynack: no change still near Neufchateau.(latest point 5am 5th Monday).

• Thank you MOFFER :)

A very old Shropshire Lad.