Tracking Loch Garten Ospreys : July 2011- May 2012

I offered yesterday to start a new Topic once Bynack had fledged, but as we now have the updated Satellite Tracking page, and biography pages for Tore and Bynack, and there are some tracking results for Tore on Google Earth, I’ve gone ahead with it.

A brief introduction to the ospreys we’re tracking – first, the class of 2011.

Torelink to her Biography

Tore is the elder of this year’s juveniles, her ring is blue/white 48. She fledged on Tuesday 12th July aged 54 days, and has started to do a little exploring.   

Bynack link to his Biography

Tore’s younger brother, ring blue/white 47. Bynack is aged 53 days today and has yet to fledge.

Edit: He has fledged, at 10.18 am today 16/7. 

Rothes link to her Biography

Rothes is the eldest of EJ and Odin’s offspring, hatched at Loch Garten in 2009. Her ring is white/black PJ. She migrated as a juvenile to Guinea-Bissau, and spent her formative months on the small island of Unhocomozinho, in the Bijagos Archipelago. Now a sub-adult, she has travelled north to Europe for the first time this summer and is currently in the Gironde estuary in SW France, where she also spent 6 weeks on her way south in 2009. So far, she has not returned to the UK.

Rothes' earlier travels were followed in this thread, now closed.  

• Thanks for the heads up re your edits JSB - such exciting news  .....   what if.......

• Unknown said:

Was this Tore?

01/09 16:21 CORNWALL : Osprey, St. John's Lake [S]

She definitely passed very close by! :-)

IMAGICAT

• No update yet for September :(

• These postings are brilliant.  I particularly loved the one from JSB.  Just the thought of Rothes and Beatrice being the same spot made my heart leap.  I would love to be the fly on the wall when Ian meets RD.  Well done JSB for making the connection.

ALAN wouldn't it be wonderful if someone were able to spot Tore and take a photo of a bird with an aerial!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Sheila : I am fairly sure that the St Johns lake sighting was Tore, just waiting for the sattelite data to confirm it. It s not easy to get an ID on migrating ospreys with a pic. There have been very few over the years.

• Cirrus and ShielaFE: I edited the original posting, earlier this morning, about R & B with another map showing Rothes' three fixes on the 21st August, they are all dotted around the ponds, a few hundred metres away. If there had been a fix miles away, LG would have added it I am sure, so my logic is that on the 21st Rothes did not stray very far from the fish farm. Also I have put Philippe, of LPO, who is the guy who originally made the connection, in touch with RSPB in the form of Richard, as he wanted to know who was running the LG Osprey tagging project. You never know, we could have Tore or even Bynack, turning up on Rothes' doorstep, now, there's a thing! Just me being fanciful.....but it is not impossible.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• Once again, thank you JSB you sterling bloke you.

Oh , I wish we could know for absolutely sure .......

Can't wait for Sept.  GE updates

• JSB  This is all getting so exciting, all from the comfort of our own homes.  Does anyone keep in touch with Dr Jones?  Does he know about the return of Rothes this year?

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE: Dr Jones seems to be off the radar, as far as I know. The last contact with Richard was in 2009, according to info in the public domain. However I am sure he and his staff must know of Rothes return, there is the issue of keeping Rothes safe and luckily in view of the very valuable fish in the ponds, at the site, there must be effective security in place. As you know, the fish are farmed for the production of caviar, you do not get fish more valuable than that.

Also Rothes is happy there and must feel secure, as he/she could take to the skies in an instant, should any threat be present. There have been local sightings of Rothes, apart from Nigel's photos, but these are not widely publicised, for reasons of Rothes' protection. Rothes left for Africa in 2009 on 24th September, plotted on GE, near Margaux, which is where the Premier Cru Bordeaux wine is produced.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• TRACKING LATEST:

Rothes: Guess what?  Yep, still the River Gironde/Bordeaux area

Tore: Still in the Tamar Estaury/Plymouth area

Bynack: Near Brechaincourt on the River Mouzon