Tracking Loch Garten Ospreys : July 2011- May 2012

I offered yesterday to start a new Topic once Bynack had fledged, but as we now have the updated Satellite Tracking page, and biography pages for Tore and Bynack, and there are some tracking results for Tore on Google Earth, I’ve gone ahead with it.

A brief introduction to the ospreys we’re tracking – first, the class of 2011.

Torelink to her Biography

Tore is the elder of this year’s juveniles, her ring is blue/white 48. She fledged on Tuesday 12th July aged 54 days, and has started to do a little exploring.   

Bynack link to his Biography

Tore’s younger brother, ring blue/white 47. Bynack is aged 53 days today and has yet to fledge.

Edit: He has fledged, at 10.18 am today 16/7. 

Rothes link to her Biography

Rothes is the eldest of EJ and Odin’s offspring, hatched at Loch Garten in 2009. Her ring is white/black PJ. She migrated as a juvenile to Guinea-Bissau, and spent her formative months on the small island of Unhocomozinho, in the Bijagos Archipelago. Now a sub-adult, she has travelled north to Europe for the first time this summer and is currently in the Gironde estuary in SW France, where she also spent 6 weeks on her way south in 2009. So far, she has not returned to the UK.

Rothes' earlier travels were followed in this thread, now closed.  

• TRACKING LATEST:

Rothes: still in the Bordeaux area.

Tore: still near Plymouth.

Bynack: now close to Neufchateau on a tributary of the Meuse (perhaps the Mouzon) – still moving south but slowly – approx 30 miles (48 km) in a day

• Newsflash from the Gironde ...... when two ospreys meet.

"When two ospreys meet ... Rothes, the Scottish osprey stationed for weeks near Saint-Fort-sur-Gironde had the company on August 21, of Beatrice, an adult Scottish female also equipped, with a satellite beacon, who flew by at 14.00hrs over the site occupied by Rothes. Both birds have probably seen each other. Beatrice continued her journey to Africa and Spain which is the latest news. Rothes, after a short break in the Medoc is back on the right bank of the Gironde ..."

Story by courtesy of lpo/f-c-m. I shall send them a copy of this post.

Translation by jsb. The French version does say probably, I did not make it up! (Les deux oiseaux se sont probablement vus.)

Beatrice: On the 21st at 14.000hrs French time was where, according to RD?

Guess what - correlation.

.....at 1400 hrs she was flying East, at 36km/hr at Saint-Fort-sur-Gironde.

We may not get this verified any further, unless a photo is uncovered, which is extremely unlikely, so this to my knowledge is the first time that two ospreys, tagged by RD have met on migration. However looking at Roy's map of the 21st, it does look like a kink in Beatrice's trajectory, where she seems to be investigating the fish farm, as two blobs are close together, indicating a stop. Now if Beatrice was splashing around, trying to catch a sturgeon, trying being the operative word in view of their size, Rothes would be bound to see and hear the commotion caused by her.

Maybe this has been reported somewhere on RSPB community, but I have not seen it so far.

EDIT: 00.01 hrs Thurs 1st Sept.

RD image of Beatrice on 21st Aug.

Google map of fish farm of Dr Jones, pinned.

FURTHER EDIT: Since there are tree 'blobs' and assuming that they are at hourly intervals, it therefore can be assumed that Beatrice was in this small area for between two hours minimum and maybe up to three hours plus. What I mean is that she could have arrived before the first fix and remained after the third fix. That's not counting the top blob, which is quite close by, if you include that, you add another hour.

Another thought, what does an osprey think and how does it react, when it meets another one with an antenna on its back? :o)

ANOTHER EDIT WITH ROTHES' SAT FIXES FOR THE 21ST AUGUST, LOOKS LIKE SHE WAS AT HOME ALL DAY.

More info on timing ... re Beatrice, RD says ...

" She set off south across the river at 1530 from South of Blaye to Margaux."

So their encounter would have been shorter than suggested above.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• Fantastic "coincidence", JSB! :-D

IMAGICAT

• wow  JSB that is a great  find . Now  I wonder how many other Osprey stop at Sturgeon farm in Gironde ?

Maybe Rothes is not alone.

Formerly known as Barbara Jean

• GE has been updated and Tore was on the last fix in the exact location  on the other side of the river from this pic that I put on earlier :

• Thanks Alan - so she's definitely not been to St. Austell then.

• Sandy : Definately not and I am amazed that Tore was at the other side of the Lynher river from where I took that photo in the grounds of Antony House.

• I'm pleased at that, Alan - she deinitely doesn't want to go any further west along the Cornish coast (despite how nice it is!).

She's obviously honing her fishing skills in a great area. She reminds me of Nethy & Deshar and she might just stay there a little while yet.

• I wonder if Rothes is thinking about heading south again - when you look at the recent update closely, all but the earliest of yesterdays points are at the most southerly extreme of his/ her recent range.

• Oh, clap clap clap clap clap  JSB

What a delight to read that - very well spotted and thanks for posting it.