Tracking Loch Garten Ospreys : July 2011- May 2012

I offered yesterday to start a new Topic once Bynack had fledged, but as we now have the updated Satellite Tracking page, and biography pages for Tore and Bynack, and there are some tracking results for Tore on Google Earth, I’ve gone ahead with it.

A brief introduction to the ospreys we’re tracking – first, the class of 2011.

Torelink to her Biography

Tore is the elder of this year’s juveniles, her ring is blue/white 48. She fledged on Tuesday 12th July aged 54 days, and has started to do a little exploring.   

Bynack link to his Biography

Tore’s younger brother, ring blue/white 47. Bynack is aged 53 days today and has yet to fledge.

Edit: He has fledged, at 10.18 am today 16/7. 

Rothes link to her Biography

Rothes is the eldest of EJ and Odin’s offspring, hatched at Loch Garten in 2009. Her ring is white/black PJ. She migrated as a juvenile to Guinea-Bissau, and spent her formative months on the small island of Unhocomozinho, in the Bijagos Archipelago. Now a sub-adult, she has travelled north to Europe for the first time this summer and is currently in the Gironde estuary in SW France, where she also spent 6 weeks on her way south in 2009. So far, she has not returned to the UK.

Rothes' earlier travels were followed in this thread, now closed.  

• Yes, I do hope Tore bides her time, rests up and hones those fishing skills.  She'll be a much more confident osprey by the time she goes south.  We'll be the ones on tranquillisers by then!!

• lets pray she doesnt go further west.  Waiting is awful

• Cirrus: I have the figure of 628 miles in my head, but do not recall where I read it! My GE was playing up I had three kml files, for LG birds, now deleted two of them. I presume nobody has the latest fixes on GE....will come later tonight I expect. I am not specially worried either, about Tore.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• Unknown said:

I refuse to worry. Tore I believe to be a confident youngster and she's just having a good ole explore. She'll get down to the serious business of crossing the Channel in due course. Just so long as she's having  successful fishing sorties.

How many miles did Bynack fly over the sea to Bruge ?? That's a fair ole way and he managed. And the same with him -  just so long as he's having successful fishing sorties

I wonder how high an Osprey would need to fly to actually be able to SEE France whilst crossing the Channel.

Do you want the easy answer or the hard (but better)  answer Cirrus?

• Thanks everyone for the info. It looks like Bynack is pushing bit farther South and Tore is  still resting and contemplating her situation.

Tore is the laid back one and Bynack the  high energy demanding one so  perhaps this is not  unusual .  One would expect the youngest one to  be taking his time.  

I think this shows that  personality  plays a larger role than age in the first migration and perhaps in their future .    

The eating machine Bynack is following a river.  LOL  Tore is just checking out the area.

Roy Dennis's Ozwald  went in a circle through Scotland for a while and then found his  bearings.

Formerly known as Barbara Jean

• Bassenthwite Number 11 flew over Plymouth having left Worcestershire that day and flew 621 miles to N W Spain having missed out France altogether. As Tiger mentioned he did not stop much at a stopover hung around Lisbon area a few days and off to Africa. I think Tore may do a similar Herculean flight when she is ready.

• Finally checking in after a frenetic week.  Very glad to see both LG birds are doing well! Bynack's route still a little worrisome -- he has found a river now but earlier seemed to go for some time without a water source.  I'm somewhat worried but not factually informed, so still worried (eep!) how much he will find in SE France; also if he doesn't veer SW soon he is heading for a longer and harder stint across the Med and northern Africa.  But plucky guy that he, is he inspires confidence -- may he continue to be so!  I am glad Tore is hanging out to gather her bearings and she has clearly found a fantabulous fishing place.  Good for her.

For those interested -- simply loads of trees in Central Massachusetts felled from Irene.  I was out in it and it was on the dangerous side, driving in the woods with blocked roads one after another, and looking up at each tree wondering about its security.  But pity those people in Vermont, New Jersey or N. Carolina coast and the millions living without power for a week.

• OK Keith I think you might be on to something there.  

Thanks Tiger for the words of wisdom and calming perspective.  And Cirrus I like your optimism.  I think she may be doing just that, having a good ole explore.  As you say the key is fishing experience.  That's why I'm still a little more worried about our boy B.

Keep us sane guys!

• Hazel b said:

I refuse to worry. Tore I believe to be a confident youngster and she's just having a good ole explore. She'll get down to the serious business of crossing the Channel in due course. Just so long as she's having  successful fishing sorties.

How many miles did Bynack fly over the sea to Bruge ?? That's a fair ole way and he managed. And the same with him -  just so long as he's having successful fishing sorties

I wonder how high an Osprey would need to fly to actually be able to SEE France whilst crossing the Channel.

Do you want the easy answer or the hard (but better)  answer Cirrus?

[/quote]

FIRST:    JSB   very many thanks for your response   (628)  

TIGER so long as I'm capable of doing the figuring I'll take the hardest answer please. 

• Cirrus  Well the formula is :

Distance to horizon = 1.1 * SQRT(height)

where height is in feet (above sea level, of course)
    and distance is given in nautical miles