What Have Ospreys Done For You?

Everyone here is obviously an osprey enthusiast. How did you first discover the magic of ospreys and what have they done for you?

For me my love affair with ospreys began in the early eighties. I went into a bargain basement bookshop in central London and bought a discounted osprey book called "The Scottish Ospreys from extinction to survival" by Philip Brown. It was a book I very much enjoyed reading but there it remained. After that I did not hear much more about ospreys until the mid to late nineties. There was some footage of the Loch Garten ospreys shown in the late nineties but although I may have it on video somewhere I cannot locate it.

In July 1999 I found that Rutland Water had launched a new website to cover their translocation project which had begun in 1996. I became an immediate fan.

1999 also marked the start of osprey tracking. I found that facinating as I still do.

The first osprey cam I remember was most likely at Blackwater, Maryland. It was one new picture about every 15 minutes. It did not really change life that much.

The great saga of Henry and EJ and OVS began in 2003 and that ran for five years.

Then on around 1st  June 2004 I discovered what was the original streaming osprey webcam. It was DPOF and it was so exciting. From there on life was forever different.

From there it has just grown and grown. It means that five or six months of the year just flash past. It has meant meeting a wonderful group of people. Also being at a loose end is a thing of the past.

Thanks to the wonder of the osprey.

• Oh, Tiger - the List for me is so long....  I found the website when trawling through, after finally getting my computer online during the middle of the season with Nethy & Deshar.   Once I found the webcam of the nest, I was hooked!  I joined the RSPB shortly after, as I had been intending to do for some time. Everyone on here has been so helpful and friendly, and I have bought several of the books you mention, and started looking at other webcams, too, all over the world.  I have learnt so much about birds and other wildlife. It has also brought to many of us some really good friends, I think.  How wonderful it is to hear about life on the other side of the world, or even just a few miles away from our Islands, such as auntie in Finland!

I shall always be grateful to both the Ospreys, to the RSPB, and to you All, my Dear Friends.

• I can't claim any noble inspiration; just that I stumbled across the cam and then met some of the nicest folks around through EJ and Odin. It's interesting how much global friendship can result from two relatively small creatures.  If only the politicans would catch on....

• it was not until a year ago that I discovered ospreys. someone in a german budgie web-forum posted a link to Hailuoto cam. shortly after I discovered the LG cam, later LotL (just in those wonderful days when Lady recovered).

ever since, when I was under some stress at work, when I was annoyed about something or someone, when I had an off-day (hope that's how you say it) and tended to indulge in self-pity.... watching the ospreys gave the world a slight shove and put all my little "everyday things" in perspective

sometimes this osprey cam is a window ... you look through it and see the bigger picture (instead of only seeing your own small room)

(oohh it is so complicated to express "philosophical" thoughts in a foreign language)

Cats and women will do as they please. Dogs and men should relax and get used to it.

• Hi Tiger,

Ospreys were responsible for my first earnest interest in birds. My mother, when I was a toot, was absolutely enthused by the return of the first breeding pair.

In the fifties we had the usual "Observers"  books and my mother was a keen garden bird watcher but the return of the osprey pair inspired her to go to ornithology night classes. One of her hopes was to visit Loch Garten through the course but I can't remember whether or not she had the opportunity, or achieved her wish.

Her enthusiasm - and maybe some of the knowledge she acquired -  has had a long term impact on how I view the environment today.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• Oh now this post here that I'm able to join!!

I first saw Osprey's at BoG in the 70's asatiny wee girl, when we were on holiday in Grantown. They were far away at the top of a tree + Dad had big heavy bin's!!

The thrill of Osprey's came when we were fishing a tiny wee loch, the Davidson's Loch we called it. There I was 7/8yrs in a wonderful wooden rowing boat, the peaty smell of the water which was lapping away, fly fishing, just so quiet + peaceful!! Then above came an osprey getting bigger + bigger. Mesmerised I gazed, it hovered, plunged, flapped furiously having caught a fish, long slow wing beats + off!! I can smell, hear + see iot so clearly!!

Since then I've been lucky enough to spend summers watching Osprey's from the garden as well as the surrounding area in Aberdeenshire. Whilst hanging out the washing, cutting the grass, doing the nursery run, going on a fav walk round the Ythan estuary, popping up to Findhorn area. How could I ever tire of being privilaged enough to experience such wonder when doing every day things.

Now I have to seek them out when on holiday with the boys in Cromdale / Aberdeenshire. There is nothing quite as wonderful as seeing these spectacular birds, role on the hols + our migration north!!

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• Ospreys always held my interest since I ever knew about them, but I never thought I would ever see anything so spectacular and rare for myself!  Many years later it was the publicity of the EJ and Henry story which made me realise how accessible they are.  I don’t remember the year of our first visit to LG, but it was some time back, and then since 2009 we have made sure we get there annually - four times last year!

I am gradually learning more Osprey facts, and enjoy reading about other nests, but Loch Garten will always remain my particular favourite, despite having more and more Ospreys now breeding here in Dumfries and Galloway.  Ospreys actually increased  my interest in all birds, which has literally been a lifeline as my disability has increased, and watching live web cams enables me to reach places I shall never get to.

Then there is also the friendship I have experienced due to this wonderful international community – especially the Weekly Chat thread which is peopled by more genuine and caring folk than I have generally met elsewhere.  I thank Ospreys for bringing us all together and I also thank the RSPB for letting it be like this.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 09/06/2011 05:57 in reply to original goldfinch

I was lucky enough to get close up and personal with Ospreys during my time as a WLO, I was also Licenced to photograph them on the nest, a real privilege. This really sparked my interest in Birds of Prey, I am now lucky enough to be able to watch Ospreys in the wild where I live. It is heartening to know after many years and lots of hard work that the birds are spreading out into new territories year after year.

I for one will never tire of watching them or hearing their distinctive call, watching the antics of the youngsters as they grow into their new wings and try them out for the first time.

• I was first introduced to ospreys in 2005. All due to watching Springwatch that year and joining the BBC Springwatch messageboard. I became involved with a group of people watching the London Peregrine webcam where we saw chicks Wobble, Humble and Oddie grow up and fledge. Then when the season ended, thanks to someone we all know, decamped to another forum to keep in touch. Very soon after that I was guided to DPOF, Loch Garten, Bassenthwaite. Barbie Mill etc became hooked on ospreys and have never looked back.

Ospreys quickly became my enduring first love and peregrines a close second.

• There is just something about ospreys that stands out beyond all other birds much as I love all birds but ospreys come tops!!!

• I first discovered ospreys 3 years ago ahd have been hooked ever since, a true addiction to these wonderful birds.  To watch the dedication through brooding in some awful weather they remain steadfast in their desire to breed.  After the hatch watch in wonder at the tenderness of the parents with their young and the hard work that goes on with the male being the food provider and the female taking great care to share food out between her chicks.  Just a wonderful sight to see.  This addiction will last for ever and will never tire of learning about them.  Thanks heavens for webcams otherwise I would never have known about them.

Margobird