Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 8 September 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Not much to report here. Temps could fall to freezing tonight, but it's supposed to get hot again next week.

I've decided that my mood will improve if I simplify and organize my life. So I've ordered 4 large plastic file boxes and 8 super large plastic storage boxes. I'm going to devote the week to sorting all of my personal documents and belongings. 

I also ordered a new tough polar winter coat, new waterproof, heavy tred hiking boots, gloves, and polar house slippers. The weather service is predicting that this will be a polar vortex winter here with extreme cold and heavy snow. I also ordered 2 large boxes of batteries and other emergency supplies. 

I bought a nifty little unit that has a built in radio, a flashlight, a reading lamp, an emergency beacon, and a phone charger. It runs on internal rechargeable batteries or regular AA batteries. It also has a solar panel and a crank for charging in an emergency.

I bought everything at sharply cut, clearance prices because none of the stores have the new winter inventory in yet. I felt better getting organized and prepared and beating the higher prices that will come as the season changes. The delivery man will hate me!!!

Everybody have a good week. Love and hugs to everyone.

• AQ:   Does you OH seem aware of how 'boring' his activities are?  Life gets so cruel.

Harelady:  No fires near us, but grandson (he works for CalFire) is up north near Fresno and says he's likely to get sent to the one in San Bernardino next.  Any other way to get to Nanny duty other than driving?  Listening to my niece talk about getting from A to B in the UK without a car, it would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

I can smell the ocean this morning and the high temps are supposed to be gone by tomorrow.

Take care everyone.

• Glad to hear no fires near you Annette. Yes I could travel by bus and 2-3 trains to both kids but the cost is 3 times the cost of petrol to drive there!

The government wants us to drive less but do nothing about the cost of public transport.

• PAT, LINDA, HEATHER, ROSY, HARELADY, ANNETTE – What would I do without friends like you. I can rant and you stay with me when I cannot say too much to Daus as it would upset them. Thank you.

Best Friend & I tried to make a lunch date this week but between her medical appts and my pre-arranged appts, no free day. Maybe next week. This morn I escaped to City Library for some family history research – success and a few more blanks exposed. Tomorrow I shall stay home as an important “discussion” is taking place at 10.30 am our time. Many Aussies are watching events closely as our future will be involved too.

• AQ - I heard on the radio a couple of nights ago, that a bird sanctuary in England had a cassowary hatch. They seem to be very fierce characters ! 

• Here is link to UK Cassowary chick Heather posted by Hazy on the forum ...

www.bbc.co.uk/.../czdpe7n7l50o

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well, time has got away from me but I am here now!

AQ - I have read about the way your OH is being looked after in this new home. They sound to be good and kind but it must be very sad for you to see what his world has become. It was a shame that your lunch date fell through. It sounds as if you would have benefited from a good chat. 
    Heather -  you have a big decision to make regarding your boiler but it sounds as if you have probably made up your mind. Then it will be all the organisation and disruption. 
    Harelady - it sounds like such a difficult drive you have whichever grandchildren you visit. Unless you are going directly north - south in this country, public transport is not good is it? 
    Lindy - I sympathise with you over the computer issues. Technology can be so frustrating. 
    So, on Sunday I got some washing done and got myself somewhat organised after my little break. Monday I met my sister for a coffee and chat at a big Marks and Spencer’s half way between the 2 of us. I then treated myself in the food hall. I got a big ironing done in the afternoon. Today I have been out with the Flora and Fauna group to a local country park. We got a bit wet for about 30 minutes but then it dried up. Most disappointingly, the usual reliable dippers and grey wagtails didn’t show up. We enjoyed the walk though. 
    Tomorrow morning I must go to town to buy some paint as “a man” is coming next week to paint my garage door and to do some other jobs which I can’t really do. In the afternoon I am hoping to sit down and start an account of my short trip to Scotland. 

• Rusty:  That's exactly what my niece says - can't go from East to West and vice-versa with public transportation in the UK.  Will you do a French version of your vacation for the class?

Harelady:  How much longer will the kids need Nanny care?  Is there no closer alternative?  Lovely to see them, but those kinds of drives don't get any easier....

AQ: Sorry your lunchdate didn't materialize but WONDERFUL to read that you're actually able to go out to lunch - you were always out and about.  Nice that you got genealogy work done and didn't have to rush home or worry what was going on while you were out.  Hugs from here.   How nice to be distanced from the 'discussion.'   My niece is headed to Adelaide next week and packing for multiple weather eventualities.  I told her she may find  me joining the flight halfway through (except she's going on Qatar via Singapore).  

Take care all