LLYN BRENIG 2 July 2024 - FEBRUARY 2025

Continued from June 2024

LINK to Opening Page with background and history of this nest and relevant links

This season so far   

31 March Blue LJ2 returns

1 April Blue 372 briefly visits, 6 April Blue 372 returns and stays

Sadly, Blue LM6 has not returned

Eggs laid

#1 April 23 - 17.40, #2 April 26 - 19.28, #3 April 29 - 15.46

Hatched

June 2 - 00.52, June 4 - 09.48?  It is not known for certain which eggs these are. My thoughts are these are eggs 2 and 3 and egg number 1 did not hatch. (Left unattended on a frosty night)

However, the consensus among the volunteers is that it is eggs 1 & 2 which have hatched. Llyn Benig is around 1000 feet above sea level so the ambient temperature is around 2 degrees Celsius lower than at sea level which might account for longer hatching times. It has certainly been a cold hatching period. (AG)

Chicks ringed 08/07/24 - (Second hatched) 8B8 (M) 1500g 265mm - (First hatched) 8B9 (F) 1620g 291mm

Chicks named 18/07/24      8B8 EMRYS                -                8B9 BETHAN

Chicks fledged             28/07/24  (54 days old)     -    27/07/24  (55days old)

All captures and videos ©️NWWT, Welsh Water, Brenig Osprey Project

RESUMÉ for JUNE 2024

This has been a month of fast change. Two chicks were born at the beginning of the month. On chick 1’s day of hatching, someone was flying a drone in the area and it spooked 372. She alarm called and quickly left the nest with the little chick being thrown to the nest edge as she left. Somehow that wee one had the instinct and strength to move back to the nest cup and safety again.  372 has proven to be a great first time mother. She has gently fed the chicks, given them warmth and shelter and LJ2 has provided well with a variety of daily  fish. There have been the usual intruders which has distracted LJ2 at times from bringing in fish but he would always bring some later on. The chicks are now 4 weeks old and developing very well. There is a hierarchy between the chicks with #1 being dominant over #2, mostly at feeding times. #2 knows to allow #1 to feed first then it’ll get its turn. Gelert KA9(22) son of LJ2 and LM6, was photographed at Dyfi 3 weeks after his visit here on 25 May.

• 19.47 Looks like LJ2 has had a bath.

Fixing some feathers.

Drying off.

Get that itchy bit

and the other side

then a body shake

a tail shake

and he’s good to go.

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• 7 September 

Good morning. Today Bethan is 97 days old and Emrys 95 and last night was the first night without either of them being here since they were born. I hope they both found somewhere safe to rest overnight, as well as 372 and all of our migrating ospreys. Two hearts

So far this morning I haven’t seen LJ2. The fish remains he left on the nest were taken by a single Corvid this morning.

07.42 He flew off with the first piece then ate the rest on the nest.

07.43 A large bird was incoming

the Corvid darted and a herring gull landed.

It was just too late, all was gone. It picked something up but just got a stick.

07.48 It was on the nest for a few minutes. A wee look down, just like Bethan and Emrys used to do.

07.49 The gull was so large that its head was mostly cut out of the frame. It had a big yawn.

Then left in a downwards fashion.

09.12 The tower perch has been unused. It’s been a misty morning.

09.14 The area was scouted, looking for LJ2.

09.48 another quick look and again at 10.27. It looks so quiet and empty.

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• Aw GLIDER, as you say just all so quiet and empty once they've gone but what a fabulous nest this has been. 

It has been wonderful watching Bethan and Emrys develop which I may add has all been brought to us with your fantastic reporting.

It's sad when they go, but go they must and these juveniles have had the best possible start to see them undertake their first migration.

Thank you GLIDER for all your hard work and I wish the Llyn Brenig family a safe journey and return.

• Thank you Karen. It’s been a privilege to watch and report on this nest. Two hearts
    Yes, I’m sad to see them go but also happy that after dear LM6 failed to return, LJ2 and 372  paired and had a very successful season. Bethan and Emrys left best equipped to find their way in the world and as you say, hopefully we’ll see them all return in the future. 

• From scroll back, all that I could see for the rest of the day was

14.02 lots of boats

14.59 tree posts

15.47 some Corvid visits

but no ospreys.

I think LJ2 is probably away as his brood hatched later this year, left later and so he’ll just be wanting to get on his way.

We’ll see what the next day or 2  brings.

©️NWWT, WW, BOP